Electric charging problems

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edthehunt

Hi All

I recently brought an outlander phev, it’s 4 years old and having problems with the capacity of the electric battery

I’m using a 3 pin charger to charge it and I’m only getting 15 miles on a complete full charge.
I have taken it to a Mitsubishi garage and they have run diagnostics and found no problems with it, they even took it for a drive and claim to have had 23miles out of a battery charge.
I drive it with no inside instruments on in the car other than eco mode and still can only get 13/15miles on a full charge
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance

Depends how it's been driven previously, it's not what's known as a guessometer for nothing. My 2017 4HS has been steady for 3.5 years at 23 miles on a full charge, it has shown as much as 42 miles and as little as 16. No matter what it shows I seem to get about 25 miles before the ICE cuts in.

Sounds to me that, if the garage got 23 miles and you only get 15, you are driving everywhere with the aircon on :idea:

If we leave aside the (logical) possibility the OP drives with a heavy right foot and/or the terrain driven is markedly different from that the dealer used in their test, then the number one suspect is the rear brake callipers. Other threads note that these do seize in cars of this age. Of course that would be the same for the dealers test too but I tend to disbelieve anything a dealer tells me. Have the rear brakes checked at a good independent garage (or do yourself).

I have just recently purchased an Outlander PHEV, and per previous thread, i too only get 15 miles on a full overnight charge. The car is 7 years old so i do expect some drop off from a new battery, guide is 2-3% a year in degradation, but 15 miles is over 50% of the original stated 32 mile range. Mitsubishi warranty is 8 years/ 100,000 miles and within that they build in a 30% degradation over those 8 years, so my question is if i go to my local Mitsubishi service centre, would they first do tests on the battery and if proven right, would they arrange a free warranty replacement battery?

My instinct is no.

Unless you bought the car from Mitsubishi with some kind of warranty attached.

If you have no relationship with Mitsubishi, I don't believe you can hold them to a contract that they made to someone else.

Unless you can find some published material that says: "Mitsubishi offers to following warranty to all Outlander PHEV owners, no matter how many times the car has been resold, no matter what has been done to the battery."

It's been a long time since I studied contract law, but I recall that warranty clauses are considered to be much less powerful than condition clauses, and you have to be a party of the contract to be covered by the contract.

It's possible that they may want to do something as a public relations exercise, but seems unlikely on a seven year old car.

The 32-mile EV range is only if you drive it in the most efficient manner possible in ideal conditions - it's the same as the quoted mpg figures on ICE cars in that few ever achieve them.

The battery on our February 2015 model is right around the 70% SOH cut-off after running the DBCAM - we're still waiting to hear from Mitsubishi Japan if they're actually going to replace the battery under warranty. After the DBCAM (which gave us another ½-mile of range), we get around 12 miles on the GOM at this time of year. If you're getting 15, I would suggest that your battery is significantly above 70%.

KeithGarside67 said:
I have just recently purchased an Outlander PHEV, and per previous thread, i too only get 15 miles on a full overnight charge. The car is 7 years old so i do expect some drop off from a new battery, guide is 2-3% a year in degradation, but 15 miles is over 50% of the original stated 32 mile range. Mitsubishi warranty is 8 years/ 100,000 miles and within that they build in a 30% degradation over those 8 years, so my question is if i go to my local Mitsubishi service centre, would they first do tests on the battery and if proven right, would they arrange a free warranty replacement battery?

Drive it for a while (a month?) and see if the EV range changes.
If not, I'd definitely contact Mitsubishi UK for a check and possible battery replacement.

If you are not in the UK, just change that with the local country/region HQ.

Back