DIY video fix heating / 4-way valve / flush whole system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent thank you.
I have done the first part of this with the filter clean, replaced the filter, bled the system a little.

Can you tell me if the silver curved pipe should get hot after say 10-15mins....mine stays cold. All other pipes from 4 way are hot.
My heat still blows out cold air...feels like cool AC air rather than normal ambient air that I would expect.

It would be great if you can answer this?

TF1909 said:
Can you tell me if the silver curved pipe should get hot after say 10-15mins....mine stays cold. All other pipes from 4 way are hot.
My heat still blows out cold air...feels like cool AC air rather than normal ambient air that I would expect.

"Silver" aluminum curved pipe should get HOT after ICE has been running for 10-15mins. I suspect you have air in your system or possibly some other issue.

If I run my ICE hot, by driving with it for 15mins, then request maximum heat to my cabin, my cabin gets hot, I cannot keep myhand on front of the cabin heater grills for more than 5 seconds, then my hands start to hurt from the heat. When your car is doing this, then cabin heating is able to generate the proper heat output.

BTW If you open the bleeder bolt from aluminum curved pipe while ICE is hot, beware. Coolant will spray out strongly from it and it is scorching hot.

Thanks for the reply!!

So can I use that bleeder bolt to let some air out of the system?
What would I do, loosen it, run the engine with the heat on for say 10 mins?

Is there a way I can explain this to a repair shop....I need the coolant dropped and re-filled for the heating only?

All the pipes running from the 4 way matrix all seem hot also.
They other day when on charge mode (I am forcing the heater on) the air coming from the in car vents was warm, then went cold after 8-10 mins.
I must admit I am a bit stumped and not too technically minded on cars.

Found out mine was the water heater pump assembly, all fixed for around £160 + part, £50.

Hello all you Outlander Gurus, I have a question.

After seeing the videos about how to clean the Outlander's coolant/heater filter I decided to check mine out. Much to my surprise, I do not have one! It appears that someone took out the filter and the aluminium bleed port.

Also, I noticed that the bottom left port on my 4 way valve does not even have a hose on it. I think that is either the feed or return line for the electric heater.

So- what does this mean? Was the filter clog so bad that is messed up the electric heater so they just decided to bypass the whole thing?

Does this mean that my battery cooling system will not work, or is that a seperate system?

Will this cause me any problems, or is it something the car can function ok without? Thanks for your advice!

I believe some low spec models didn't have an electric heater from the factory. The electric heater is only for use for cabin pre-heating via the app. If you don't have the wifi module, you won't have a heater either. IIRC.

Sambaman said:
Does this mean that my battery cooling system will not work, or is that a separate system?

The battery is air cooled by the AC system with independent, dedicated evaporator.

Domiac said:
I did some DIY instructions and tips on how to check coolant filter, perform full coolant rinse, check & fix 4-way valve thermostat (if stuck) and some extra tips how to bleed the system. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiDSTm5Cm3c

Beware that the first batch of Outlander PHEV, so the ones that were shipped in the Netherlands in the end of 2012/beginning of 2013 for example, do NOT have this filter.
The 4 way valve tends to break, that's why they are also very hard to come by second hand and new they are ridicously overpriced. At least in the Netherlands they are. Somewhat around €300 if I recall correctly. I used a electric blowtorch on low setting to warm up the hoses before sliding them off. After replacing there is a pretty specific way of refilling to prevent air in the system, what I did was lift the front of the car up with a hoist and ran the engine for a little while. Worked like a charm.

Back