Mileage displays and how to read/reset them

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweier

Hi all! just picked up a used 2018 PHEV and am enjoying optimizing my driving to maximize efficiency. Seems I'm not the only one! So much more control over the process than our old 2008 Prius offered. I apologies for the newb questions below that are I'm sure discussed elsewhere but I wasn't finding a thread solely about mileage readings so here we are :)

I'm understanding my immediate mileage but am also hoping to understand better the more gradual mileage trend shift each fuel fillup (tripometer worth of data) that is likely to occur as we shift from sub-freezing temps here to spring and summer. I also would like to be able to understand how a full year of data blends to give a more total mileage understanding (full odometer worth of data). Ideally would like to see all this in graphs and such but seems beyond the scope of the MMCS?

My questions lie in how to interpret all the different mileage & efficiency averages displayed in the car & where to find the most useful information. Due in part to MMCS UI abbreviations, how much data is provided, as well as the fact there are displays by the speedometer, in the MMCS power usage screen, as well as the MMCS history screens, there's definitely a lot to take in, and I feel like there's something I'm not quite fully understanding about which shows where.

1) Am I correct that the mileage that displays by the speedometer is reset every time I start a new journey? It seems to get better as my commute goes on but then resets when i next get in. Is there a way to control this behavior?

2) I tried disabling the automatic reset modes but see that it's back on with an orange rectangle in the screen - am I correct to just ignore the ability to disable this and let it do its thing since it does whatever it wants anyways? Or is there a good use for Manual reset? Auto reset seems to generate a new data subset each time I set off to help me see graph (for example) of mileage on my AM commute vs PM commute in the History screen. Turning auto reset off seems to be back on when I next drive so i don't understand the intended usage pattern here.

3) Is there anywhere to find the total cumulative average since I last reset my Trip A tripometer reading? Is this even a feature? I see an A next to the mini display by speedometer when I cycle the modes there but am not clear which data this is showing since as per question 1 above, this seems to reset everytime I turn the car off and back on.

4) Am I right that the only place to find a cumulative mileage average that spans all data is hidden in a horizontal line format (not numeric) on the history screen graph? I can't find this cumulative average in numeric form anywhere. I'm basically looking for the average mileage since my last fillup, with the intent to reset manually when I add gas. Or do I have to calculate this manually separately (eg Gas Manager app or similar) by logging gas added and odometer each time?

5) I see the history screens let me pick between long and short (5 min slices) average samples. Am I correct that the Long one is looking at any given "driving session" which resets every few hours of inactivity? And that the "Short" one is more akin to the mileage history screens I'm used to seeing in a Prius display which update throughout the drive with sample slices? (see attached for image of what I'm used to seeing on the old Prius)
2424649836_d2751017c5_b.jpg

6) any other tips on which mileage monitoring features you find most useful (and where to find them)? If you've found good apps to use to help provide better understanding, I'm all ears!

Back