Towing a caravan

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbo

Looking at getting back into PHEV ownership again, however I now need the ability for it to tow my caravan @1580MTPLM. So i'm after peoples real world experiences of towing heavy trailers with the PHEV. (UK) Thanks..

Unfortunately you can't tow anything heavy with the Outlander Phev......
The Outlander PHEV has a 1500kg braked towing limit and a 750kg unbraked limit.

I wouldn't risk it.
Vosa, the police & your insurance company won't take kindly to you in the UK.

Anyway, I have never towed with my Phev. I've just used the towbar to carry bicycles.
How does the Phev cope with standing starts on steep gradients with a caravan I wonder.
There must be plenty of folk who tow all sorts of stuff with the Phev.

Gilbo said:
I already know what the manufacturers limits are but it can tow more, hence the reason for asking for real worl experiences of owners before I take the plunge.

Hi I am just up the road from you in Stafford, 2020 Outlander PHEV 2.4 Swift Conqueror 480 1500kg

We have been towing with our Outlander for nearly 3 years excellent tow car, you are right in reality it is able to tow more but unfortunately it is limited to 1500kg, however according to Caravan Talk and Caravan Motorhome Club members have highlighted you can subtract the 70kg nose weight, plus you could also load your caravan below its maximum weight to keep it legal, you need to check how legal this is.

Thanks oscarmax, does it cope ok on the hills when the battery is low. also what sort of range are you getting from the larger battery on the 2.4? My last one was a 2.0 and are looking at the 2.4's now.

Gilbo said:
Thanks oscarmax, does it cope ok on the hills when the battery is low. also what sort of range are you getting from the larger battery on the 2.4? My last one was a 2.0 and are looking at the 2.4's now.

I can tow from our house to the M6 toll road top of my head about 14 miles, we have 2 to 3 miles left, I just press the charge button and travel all the way to the New Forest 178 miles, once the battery recover to 40/50% I switch to save, as regard the hills the rear motor just kicks in and gives you a push up the hills, I set my speed limiter to 50/55mph depended on traffic, to date I have not lost speed on hills, including Cornwall.

if you are in saved mode and a hill is approaching just press charge mode, if you leave in save mode towing up a hill the ICE will rev up, if you leave it in charge mode to rear motor kicks in no revving ICE.

I used to regularly achieve 32 mpg on E5, using E10 this has dropped of to 28/29mph, this year I am going to top the tank up with E5 for towing.

Back