Battery mileage

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PHEVinSanDiego said:
My battery is only charging 5.6KW
That’s crazy
2019 Mitsubishi with 50k miles
I put $1 as cost per KW and in the morning after a full charge I see that the cost of my last charge was $5.66
That’s less than 50% of what it should be???
Clearly my range is bad (12 miles)
What can I do ?

As I said in the other thread:
ThudnBlundr said:
As it shows empty with 30% left in the battery, that means your SOH is just under 70%. If like here they run a DBCAM to recalibrate the BMS to the actual capacity (as opposed to its estimate), you'll probably revert to over 70% so won't be eligible for a warranty claim.

Very valid points here guys, my Mitsubishi 2019 showing 15miles (24km) EV range. But I’m new driver, only bought my Outlander last week, charged twice so far, covered 22 miles daily and after the first drive I drained battery after 16 miles. It was me and 1 passengers on flat terrain on a rather cold rainy day, in the city, 10-15 degrees outside in the rain with average speed 25m/h . Not great results and I’m expecting my Carly OBD2 in the post in the few days time

Getting great range from my 2023 with its 20 kw pack. We live in rural area getting average 3.5 mile kw average 45-55 miles per charge. The Outlander works perfect for our 30 mile round trip to town each morning with range to spare.

Regards Mike

We are averaging 2.9 miles per kWh and getting 40 to 45 miles of EV range. Tried to do a Chademo charge on an 80 mile round trip the other day but couldn’t get the charger to work so we did burn some gas on the way home. Hoping to get at least 30 mpg on our upcoming road trip up to New Hampshire.

Rockwallrick said:
We are averaging 2.9 miles per kWh and getting 40 to 45 miles of EV range. Tried to do a Chademo charge on an 80 mile round trip the other day but couldn’t get the charger to work so we did burn some gas on the way home. Hoping to get at least 30 mpg on our upcoming road trip up to New Hampshire.

Hello All - Myself, I feel that DC charging is useless for a PHEV like the Outlander. The DC charging feature is merely a hook to confuse inexperienced buyers.

I just can't see a Outlander owner sitting somewhere charging for 30-50 minutes in a strange unsafe location when they have a gas engine to do the same work. The whole reason for buying a plug in hybrid, is to avoid paying to be tethered to a charger cable with no escape without getting out of the car.

My friend Jim DC charged his 23' Outlander and when he calculated the cost, the DC charging actually cost more than the fuel he would have used. We're only talking a little over a gallon of fuel to match a 80% DC charge, so if DC charging cost more than $3.00 (and it will) you're just wasting time and money.

DC fast charging is very expensive and in some states as high as a tank of fuel to charge an 77kw pack on a EV-6. While you can pay up to a dollar a Kw, the average price is 35 cents per Kw. So to charge the Outlander's 20 kw battery it would cost around $7.00 and you're only going to travel 35-55 miles. Outlander should have used the money spent on the DC charger and instead installed a higher output AC onboard charger we all need.

I'm a firm believer that EV charging should only be done in the safety of your home or office.

Regards - Mike

Here in BC (Canada) we have some pro-electric programs to encourage the switchover to EV. As part of that, the hydro company has installed some chargers at rest stops and other locations. They are free to use :) So, when I find one I'll stop and plug in for 20 to 30 minutes, charge the car, use the rest room, and educate some of the other idlers at the stop :) Pay for that charge? Nope ... makes no sense.

mellobob said:
Here in BC (Canada) we have some pro-electric programs to encourage the switchover to EV. As part of that, the hydro company has installed some chargers at rest stops and other locations. They are free to use :) So, when I find one I'll stop and plug in for 20 to 30 minutes, charge the car, use the rest room, and educate some of the other idlers at the stop :) Pay for that charge? Nope ... makes no sense.

Thanks for the reply - I should have mentioned the only exception to DC charging is if its free. Yeah if you're just hanging out it might be worth the wait. Are those charge stations DC or AC or both?

Mike

I totally agree that the DC charge port on the Outlander PHEV doesn’t make much sense! I have only tried it one time since we got the car three months ago. I don’t expect to use it all on my upcoming 3,000 mile road trip!!!

LowOnCash said:
mellobob said:

Thanks for the reply - I should have mentioned the only exception to DC charging is if its free. Yeah if you're just hanging out it might be worth the wait. Are those charge stations DC or AC or both?

Mike

Free as in free :) They have CSS and CHAdeMO connections at 40kW ... our govt. is good at giving our money away, so I might as well take some .

Rockwallrick said:
I totally agree that the DC charge port on the Outlander PHEV doesn’t make much sense! I have only tried it one time since we got the car three months ago. I don’t expect to use it all on my upcoming 3,000 mile road trip!!!

It makes sense for V2H. You can use the car as a 10 kW backup generator or solar storage. I also use it to charge at work when all L2s are taken.

Temps after a slightly longer drive this morning -
Two fronts 379 and 402 and two backs 363 and 374.
Ambient this morning was 22 degC.

Both yesterday and this morning I drove the car 'default' - just hit the Ready button and drove off as per another posters advice to start logging actual mileage and indication mileage.

Yesterday I charge the car on the supplied Mitsubishi charger. It had dropped to 9 kilometres remaining and charged to 32. I didn't expect to feel any regeneration with the battery "fully charged" as per other contributors to this forum - ie: I understood it drops off the higher the battery is.
To be honest I can't feel any difference between default B2, B1 or B3. I feel it at B4 and particularly at B5.

And in regards to the brake pads, disc pads do always lightly rub the surface of the discs - thats normal.

So I'm logging the actual and indicated mileage and I'll monitor the brakes for a while longer but at the moment I don't find them alarming. Later this week I'll have a round trip of about 16 kilometres so it will be a better check than the short drives so far.
Good day to all of you, I purchased a 2016 Outlander PHEV with 107k and I get a maximum charge of 33 on the clock, today did a run mostly freeway and got an actual 29 klms before it went over to the engine, so it seems I am not doing too bad. Its better to only charge for about 90% as the battery does have a memory and I have read its not good to leave on all night charge.
Theres an outfit here in Auckland .N Z who check the battery and identify the dud small batteries and replace them to give you a 100% batter condition and its way less than a new replacement.

Good day to all of you, I purchased a 2016 Outlander PHEV with 107k and I get a maximum charge of 33 on the clock, today did a run mostly freeway and got an actual 29 klms before it went over to the engine, so it seems I am not doing too bad. Its better to only charge for about 90% as the battery does have a memory and I have read its not good to leave on all night charge.
Theres an outfit here in Auckland .N Z who check the battery and identify the dud small batteries and replace them to give you a 100% batter condition and its way less than a new replacement.

Just a bit more info , The 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV was an import from Japan , one owner and seems to have been looked after. it is always charged after using it , and the formula I use is that I like to charge it up to around 32 and charge it on a time basis of 5 klms needs 1/2 hr charge using household mains 240v. I had a run into one of the seaside towns here in Auckland today, starting out with a charge of 31 klms and travelling 8 kilms to destination it reached 32 klms upon arrival, so I drove that distance for nothing and got a bonus of 1 klm , I always drive with running lights and P4 for regeneration

Back