"EV system service required" error

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Hi all,
I just tried to charge my 2016 PHEV at a charging station, using the CHADEMO fast charger. I got an error on my dash ("EV system service required") and the car wouldn't charge. On the screen for the charging station I got an error something along the lines of "failure to communicate with vehicle". I haven't had chance to try on a normal speed charger yet, as I don't currently have one fitted at home. However, if I go into charge mode while driving, it charges the car without an issue. Everything else on the car also seems fine (in fact it was just in for a service and MOT yesterday and passed ok). :?

Has anyone else had anything similar, or know what it might be? I don't have anything to diagnose it, and I get the sense that my local dealer isn't the best (any issues I have wit the car usually results in it being fixed, and then needing the same issue to be fixed again within a couple of weeks...)

Rapid charging is notorious for peculiar issues. However, remember you also have a computer on wheels here. So just like an ordinary PC, you sometimes get lockup and stray messages but a restart usually clears the problem and you don't think any more of it.

Therefore, if the car is working normally and the messages don't re-appear, forget about it. :D

Hi,
I bought a 2015 Phev outlander a couple of weeks ago. I have the exact same issue. Did you manage to find a solution?
Thanks

ammritsingh said:
Hi,
I bought a 2015 Phev outlander a couple of weeks ago. I have the exact same issue. Did you manage to find a solution?
Thanks
First you have to find the real error code behind the message on your screen via OBDII dongle.

I’ve just had exactly the same happen. I can confirm that removing the 12 V terminal for a number of hours did nothing to clear the message or get it out of limp home mode. I’m going to try to take it to the dealer next week to clear the error messages and I’ll get back to you to see if I’ve had any luck. I was charging on a 75 kW BP pulse charger when exact same thing happened to me on the CHARDEMO fast charge.

My Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (2020 GT, 2.0 mIVEC, from Canada) gives the following two errors in conjunction:
1. EV System service required.
2. ACC (Adaptive Cruise-Control system service required.

The errors usually appear while driving. It happened two times when the engine kicked in, one time forced by charge mode and one time forced by the HVAC, and one time when I activated the driver's seat heating.
The errors disappear after I turn off the car, and turn it on without removing the 12V battery.

When the error is not present the ACC is working fine. What could be the reason for this behavior?

Here are some clues, and additional info that could help:
1. The car had a minor front collision, but the hit was not in the area of the adaptive cruise control.
2. The car does not display EV or FUEL range, it shows ---, it however does around 48 KMs on EV only in the city.
3. The engine is working and charge mode charges the battery.
4. The HVAC is working.
5. Car has about 62000 KMs on the clock.
6. All 4 tires are the same.
7. I haven't used fast chargers, I charge at my garage - 220 V, 16 A.

Here are some ideas I have already gathered but had not checked yet:
1. The 12V Battery installed by the service may not be an AGM type. I for sure know it's Varta, it's not Yuasa.
2. Don't have an OBD Dongle yet, feel free to suggest one and an app to read the error codes, if any.

The car's systems rely on a lot of sensors.

My first thought is that you may need to replace some sensors which were damaged in the collision.

Getting the actual error codes will help diagnosis a lot, so take it to a dealer or someone else with a reader, before you clear the errors.

No errors today and the Guess-O-Meter finally displayed the expected range after driving for-a-while.
14 km left on the battery of around 1/3 of the battery remaining and 277 km total range, with about half of the petrol tank.

Had a chance to play a bit more today and also run some diagnostics via an OBDII scanner.

First, the errors always appear when the engine turns on after EV mode.

Second, the following codes are returned by the diagnostics:

P0069 (with status Pending, whatever that means)
P0108 (with status confirmed)
P0531 (with status confirmed)

Any ideas?

According to google:

P0069 - Manifold absolute pressure sensor
P0108 - MAP sensor Barometric pressure sensor circuit high voltage input problem
P0531 - A/C refrigerant Pressure sensor circuit range/performance

So perhaps the MAP/airflow sensor and A/C refrigerant is low, or overfilled.

DaveL59 said:
According to google:

P0108 - MAP sensor Barometric pressure sensor circuit high voltage input problem

Thank you, Dave!

A/C Refrigerant is probably overfilled, I was at the service shop last week and they filled it to the top, that's for the P0531, I guess the other two are both related to the MAP/MAF sensors.

None of these have any relation to the fact that the "EV System service required" error when the engine turns on, right?

nrayanov said:
DaveL59 said:
According to google:

Thank you, Dave!

A/C Refrigerant is probably overfilled, I was at the service shop last week and they filled it to the top, that's for the P0531, I guess the other two are both related to the MAP/MAF sensors.

None of these have any relation to the fact that the "EV System service required" error when the engine turns on, right?

EV System service required - error doesn't mean that the error is directly related to EV components. It is just an error message so it is directly related to at least one of the P0069 , P0108, P0531 codes.

Like I said before, when I am killing intentionally the main engine relay the EV System service required is popping up immediately but obviously the problem is not in the EV system and the vehicle run perfectly on battery power.

kpetrov said:
EV System service required - error doesn't mean that the error is directly related to EV components. It is just an error message so it is directly related to at least one of the P0069, P0108, and P0531 codes.

Like I said before, when I am killing intentionally the main engine relay the EV System service required is popping up immediately but obviously the problem is not in the EV system and the vehicle run perfectly on battery power.

littlescrote said:
They might be, as the EV System relies on the A/C System for battery temperature management.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I understand it is not a big deal, and the vehicle is driving perfectly fine, I already did over 400 KMs.
The AC is working fine, blowing really cold, when on the lowest setting, and hot air with the engine on, when on the highest setting.

It's the damn EV System Service error that makes me mad because it disables the Adaptive-Cruise Control.
The error appears absolutely every time when the engine kicks in.

It's even a bit dangerous. I'm driving on the highway with 120 KM/H with ACC and when the engine kicks in it immediately disables it and the car starts slowing down, needles to say, someone could easily hit me if he was trailing behind at a close distance.

BTW, check that you don't have a torn hose on the engine air intake. If not deal with the MAP sensor.

nrayanov said:
kpetrov said:
BTW, check that you don't have a torn hose on the engine air intake. If not deal with the MAP sensor.

Like just visually inspect it or do something else?
Yes, visually check you don't have torn intake hose.

kpetrov said:
nrayanov said:
kpetrov said:

Like just visually inspect it or do something else?
Yes, visually check you don't have torn intake hose.

It was dismantled when the car arrived and could have been torn. The part itself was under the bonnet.

The repair shop should've fixed it... but I will double-check.

Back