The engine doesn't start, the vehicle runs on a battery only

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H8K

Hi there,
I found this platform and I believe this is the right platform to get the solution. The problem is with my vehicle: Mitsubishi outlander PHEV 2014. The vehicle runs on battery. It just runs on battery for 15 to 18 miles and the engine doesn't start at all, although I charged the battery full twice and I thought the phv battery is not fully charged that's why the engine is not starting so I charged it fully twice but engine is still not starting. When the engine is about to start there is a clicking sound. The engine doesn't start at all. I have no idea what's going on. Guys could you please give me some advice here, I would appreciate it.

More information is needed to help you.

What happens when you press the 'Charge' button?

What is the history of this vehicle?

AndyInOz

Thanks for replying AndyInOz,

When I press the engine start button, it doesn't start. The vehicle tries to start with clicking sounds but the engine is not moving, it's belt is not moving.

The history is that I brought this vehicle a month ago from the auction and I wasn't given details of it's history.

Thanks for reply kpetrov,

There isn't any engine management light on, except ev battery light comes when the ev range is near to end, it says like " Park the vehicle in a safe place" ill take some pictures and will upload them here for a better understanding

OK...

Given the history, i.e. disposal via auction, I think you probably need to have the vehicle inspected by a Mitsubishi trained technician.
(Most likely at a Mitsubishi dealer)

It could be as simple as a failed relay, or as complex as a host of removed or failed parts.

As a starting point, you could inspect and test every relay in the vehicle to ensure that they are all working correctly.

Also, the car could have been retro-fitted with a device to prevent the engine from starting, and the only way to find that is to look everywhere and test everything.

Hence my recommendation that you find a Mitsubushi trained technician, who has the right tools and equipment.

It is very strange... every failing relay like AndyInOz suggest will give an engine error.
Blocked - pinched fuel line may be a culprit as well and then there won't be a check engine light cause no feedback.

What engine start button you refer to? If the battery is full you have to press Charge button for at least 10 seconds to force the engine.
Someone should look at the non moving belt at that moment to see if the generator is trying to spin the engine or it doesn't even try.

Hi HBK
I was wondering if the engine start system has been modified as per some conversations on here. Some owners have prevented engine start during cold weather, could this be the case?

SilverD said:
Hi HBK
I was wondering if the engine start system has been modified as per some conversations on here. Some owners have prevented engine start during cold weather, could this be the case?
All those modifications will light up the dash like a Christmas tree.
I am not sure if the fuel pump fuse is removed where there an error but I believe there is.

Back