Sub woofer in boot

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ansellrk

Ok, I'm getting a GX4hs in a few months and I love a good sound system in a car. It's a shame that the UK version doesn't come with the better stereo system but you'd think that the cabling for the sub woofer is there?!

Do you think I can just buy a standard powered sub woofer and fit it to the existing stereo or would not be that simple?!

Anyone tried it?

As far as I'm concerned that thing in the boot only eats space that could be be better employed housing useful stuff. I don't wear a baseball cap the wrong way around either...

Look on the bright side - all that heavy boom-box bass is reported to make you infertile and incontinent!

maby said:
Look on the bright side - all that heavy boom-box bass is reported to make you infertile and incontinent!

Well as I have 4 kids I doubt that is true. If anybody has anything serious to add to this thread I'd be grateful. It was a simple enough question. I've been involved with music production for years and just happen to like good sounding audio in a car with a decent bass output.

I was under the impression that this forum was used by intelligent and helpful individuals, apparently not.

Well, to answer seriously, as a Hifi fan I yet have to hear a system that can produce a decent sound in a car. Hence my remark. A subwoofer, to my ears, only produces a synthetic boom, quite unlike the way it functions in a real hifi system.

You haven't experienced a good system in a car then. With the acoustic soundproofing in the PHEV it is likely to be one of the best cars yet for audio quality. A sub woofer, correctly installed, will produce those sounds in the 15-125Hz audio range that normal speakers can't recreate. It adds a depth to music which recreate the music as it was recorded.

In my opinion the Fosgate system doesn't place the sub correctly it should be more into the corner but moving it around is something of personal preference which I don't mind doing. Running the audio cables is something I don't fancy doing because it's a lot of work in modern vehicles.

So, back to the original question. Does anyone know if the cables for the sub are left in the car so I can rig up a separate amp,sub and capacitor for good quality bass. If they are not it means a lot of work which I'll need to look at before investing in the equipment I'd like to put into the car.

Fortunately there have already been other posts about replacing the door speakers which were met with a much better response than this post. I didn't ask for your opinion on the sub, just whether the wires were there. It was simple really.

I'm kinda with jaapv on this - I use a pretty good Dolby 5.1 home cinema setup (inc projector onto 106" screen) at home with active sub woofer (still thinking about Atmos) and really enjoy ramped up decent sound from various sources but in the car, including the PHEV, I am quite happy with what's there after a bit of tuning.

In fact I think I've got the PHEV a bit too bassy.

But I doubt very much whether they lay cables for a speaker that hasn't been specified for the car.

Just saying.

JimB

So you believe the audio quality is good within the car already? Others on this forum seem to think it lacks quality but maybe they haven't tuned it well?

I'm a bit pedantic about audio quality, I've worked with serious PA systems for over 20 years and when I'm spending 3-4 hours a day in a car it annoys me if the audio is poor.

Maybe I'm best just waiting until I get the car and then seeing how good/bad it is. The GX5 specification is basically the same as the 4hs with a few bonus options. I reckon the cable might well be there because it's all made on the same line, but I might be wrong.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the audio quality?

I'd be interested to know this too. I'm getting mine in February (GX4h) and I only have the demo GX3h to go on - with that, the audio seemed 'ok' but nothing like as good as say a Volvo's standard sound system. Having said that, I hadn't tuned it for optimal performance, it was the basic head unit and not the MMCS and it was not the MY16 model....

I also work with pro PA equipment and have a love of great sound quality and a loathing of poor in-car systems. I have spent many hours and pounds upgrading in-car systems in the past with good quality after-market components (always starting with the speakers that are usually the weakest link).
I have the new GX3H+, so no MMCS and certainly no sub-woofer, and I'm pretty happy with the sound. I originally set the bass quite high and I've now turned it back down a bit.
I've no doubt that the sub-woofer will give a bit more at very low frequencies but I suspect you would need to go down the after-market route and find a much more optimum position for the sub to get significant improvements.
Get the car, try it out for a while and then decide - that would be my advice.

Resurrecting an old thread in the hope someone can help - I am finding the sound system tinny and would like a richer sound so would appreciate any advice :?

Considering adding a sub or swapping speakers in doors for better quality :?:

I find that the door speakers are pretty phenomenal for little speakers in a door. I think the decent base needs to come from a sub. I bought the GT and thought the sub was in the back driver side corner or left corner. Opened it up and found it wasn't there. The door speakers are not enough and you lose quality of sound when you try to push bass out of small speakers that really should be doing just the mids and the highs. I believe since there are supposed to be a speaker back there on some models that there should be a wire there for sound and the battery is right there also. So next time I pull it apart I'm going to check for that audio plugin and try to figure out what sealed subwoofer would fit in that corner. Kind of thinking it should be the sub that was made by Mitsubishi since obviously they made it to fit in the corner. I installed trailer lights and the light connector was right there in the corner even though it didn't have a hitch so I think the sound is also there even though it doesn't have the sub installed. Sorry I couldn't be more help but I agree with you. If you are able to drive the base out of a subwoofer then you can reduce the base in the doors and have a much better sounding system

Back