Front Nudge Bar

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

I was wondering if any PHEV owners had fitted a front nudge bar to their SUV. Down under there is a real risk of running into animals at night on country roads. I was hoping to have the std Outlander front nudge bar fitted for some additional front end protection as well as mounting some long range driving lights. Dealer has indicated that any accessories mounted on the front of the PHEV will interfere with the FCAS and ACC functions. Does any forum member know if this is fact ?

Planning a road trip outback and night driving will be involved.

gwatpe said:
I was wondering if any PHEV owners had fitted a front nudge bar to their SUV. Down under there is a real risk of running into animals at night on country roads. I was hoping to have the std Outlander front nudge bar fitted for some additional front end protection as well as mounting some long range driving lights. Dealer has indicated that any accessories mounted on the front of the PHEV will interfere with the FCAS and ACC functions. Does any forum member know if this is fact ?

Planning a road trip outback and night driving will be involved.

Nudge bars are very out of favour in UK as most of this size of vehicle is used in towns and pedestrian injuries are made worse by the bars - actually may now be illegal. We don't have the same roo problem here either.

greendwarf said:
Nudge bars are very out of favour in UK as most of this size of vehicle is used in towns and pedestrian injuries are made worse by the bars - actually may now be illegal. We don't have the same roo problem here either.

Actually I don't think they are illegal (but some of them perhaps should be) - I am looking for the really subtle variety used on the Aussie models. This just gives the Outlander a little more 'oomph' in the styling department IMHO.

Hi Razman,

I would just like a factory option that would allow the fitting of some longer distance driving lights. You just have to lean up against the plastic bumper and you feel it give, so you certainly would not want to hit anything or mount any lights to it. Would probably take out the front end with all the radiators. Better to be able to see an animal and not hit it. Will need to look into other options when I take delivery of the new car.

jaapv said:
Replace the rather weak main beam bulbs by Xenon ones.

I assume you mean HID [Xenon arc] types.

I have tested a set and had only one work, passenger side. Thought the ballast/HV supply had died. Not so. It seems like the HID are not all compatible with the PHEV electrics. Tested units on a battery and all is fine. Will need to route a power supply from the battery and control with a relay from the high beam. Will wait till I take delivery of my new/new PHEV.

gwatpe said:
Hi Razman,

I would just like a factory option that would allow the fitting of some longer distance driving lights. You just have to lean up against the plastic bumper and you feel it give, so you certainly would not want to hit anything or mount any lights to it. Would probably take out the front end with all the radiators. Better to be able to see an animal and not hit it. Will need to look into other options when I take delivery of the new car.

You mean the "City Crash Mitigation" system, don't you? :)

gwatpe said:
jaapv said:
Replace the rather weak main beam bulbs by Xenon ones.

I assume you mean HID [Xenon arc] types.

I have tested a set and had only one work, passenger side. Thought the ballast/HV supply had died. Not so. It seems like the HID are not all compatible with the PHEV electrics. Tested units on a battery and all is fine. Will need to route a power supply from the battery and control with a relay from the high beam. Will wait till I take delivery of my new/new PHEV.
That is true. You must check with your supplier for compatibility. It will require a little box with electronics per bulb.

In my experience it is definitely not a good idea to replace the main beams with HID / Xenon lights - the warm up time is several seconds and as we tend to use the mains very occasionally (to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers) you simply cannot see what you are flicking them on for ..... like that deer that you think you saw a few hundred yards ahead!

Fit Osram Nightbreakers (or equivalents) for a good compromise - 100% more light, nearly the same colour temperature as the dipped xenons and totally compatible with the standard electrics.

I am preparing our PHEV for a lap of Australia with a caravan. I plan to fit roo bars from ECB (ADR approved) but though they fit 2014 ZJ non-PHEV they don't know whether they will fit the PHEV. I am assuming that if they work with the ACC detectors in the regular ZJ they will also work with the PHEV, if it fits at all. Neither Mitsubishi or the manufacturer can say if the mounts are the same and it will fit but we'll find out!

I have now got the Roo bars fitted - an essential for the caravan 'lap' of Australia!

So the good news is that there was no problem with the physical fitting.

The bad news is that FCM/cruise control do not work properly. The bars give me a fair bit more forward collision protection - that was the pioint - but shame about cruise. I have found you can switch FCM off (press and hold right hand button) but yet to see whether cruise will work with it off.

Do not forget to tell your insurer that you have modified the vehicle with a component that has effectively disabled the FCM. It gives them an easy way out if you do have an accdent

Back