Maxi

Advice for a long drive

I am a new owner of an Outlander and require advice.
I am about to take on a long drive (450 miles) that is predominantly motorway.
What is the best way of maximising mileage per gallon?
zzcoopej

Re: Advice for a long drive

Maxi wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:58 am I am a new owner of an Outlander and require advice.
I am about to take on a long drive (450 miles) that is predominantly motorway.
What is the best way of maximising mileage per gallon?
Enjoy the drive, the PHEV does a great job of fuel economy by itself.
If you plan it correctly, just use the SAVE button on motorway (>65km/h) if you have some local road sections later on, as pure electric is most efficient at <65km/h.
greendwarf

As the car will be using the ICE most of the time, the same principle applies as with any vehicle - the faster you go the greater the consumption. So if you are happy to drive at 60mph it will be cheaper than at 70mph, as the car does not have an aerodynamic shape - more like a giant brick. :lol:

Personally, I also find that cruise control makes it easier to maintain a set speed (no involuntary speeding up and slowing down) and thus a better consumption. :idea:
mellobob

I drive once a month on a 100km trip (about 250km by the time I'm home again) on a 2 lane hwy. In the summer I get about 6.6L/100Km. And, yes, I use the a/c and enjoy the trip. I keep my speed just over the limit at 110km/hr, use cruise control and enable <SAVE> so I have some electric juice to use in the city. In the winter: I'm using the heater (a lot), have snow tires, etc ... still I get 7.9L/100Km.

BTW, 6.6km/100 is 42.8 mpg for our British friends and 35.6 for the USA. Not sure what size gallon the Aussies have?
zzcoopej

mellobob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 am BTW, 6.6km/100 is 42.8 mpg for our British friends and 35.6 for the USA. Not sure what size gallon the Aussies have?
Gallons are only for "44 gallon drums" here in Oz. Aussies are metric.
mellobob

zzcoopej wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:33 pm
mellobob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 am BTW, 6.6km/100 is 42.8 mpg for our British friends and 35.6 for the USA. Not sure what size gallon the Aussies have?
Gallons are only for "44 gallon drums" here in Oz. Aussies are metric.
Here, in Canada, we are just confused :) We are supposed to be metric and our distances are in Km and we buy gas by the liter. But, at the lumber yard we get 8 foot 2x4s and 4x8 foot plywood; in the grocery store we have a mixture of signs...some show the price in pounds, other in kilos. All a stupid mess 'case the gov. won't regulate properly.
zzcoopej

mellobob wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:42 pm Here, in Canada, we are just confused :) We are supposed to be metric
I guess your proximity to USA is the issue. Here in Australia we have no proximity, only a heritage link to UK.
kpetrov

If you use SAVE, be sure that it engages parallel mode. My do not and keeps the vehicle in series mode which is a waste.
2018 Outlander PHEV (Canadian)
ChrisMiller

kpetrov wrote: If you use SAVE, be sure that it engages parallel mode. My do not and keeps the vehicle in series mode which is a waste.
The driver has no direct control over which mode is in use, it's decided by the car's electronics. Parallel mode uses a direct drive from the engine to the front wheels, and so is only available at sufficiently high speeds (so that the engine isn't under-revving), typically ~45mph/70kph. At most speeds (below ~75mph/120kph*) maximum power is via series mode (as the revs at which parallel mode forces the engine to run don't correspond to maximum power output), so if you floor the throttle the car will go into series mode.

You can demonstrate this (where road conditions are safe to do so, like joining a relatively empty motorway) by flooring the throttle from stationary - the car will remain in parallel mode up to ~75mph. With more gentle use of the accelerator, the car will select parallel mode as soon as it's available (~45mph).

I haven't experimented to see if the use of Save/Charge changes this description, but I don't see why it should.

* these numbers could be slightly different for the newer models with the 2.3l engine, but I think the principle is unchanged
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015
Fjpod

On a long drive, I have gotten in the habit of running my battery down to about half, then switch to charge mode as long as I am riding above 45 mph at a steady pace. I let the battery charge to the max, as I frequently encounter slowdowns and don't want to get caught short of battery. As the battery reaches maximum charge, the instantaneous mpg actually starts to get better as more power is going to the wheels. Lastly, I try to arrive home with a flat battery.
Previous prius and imiev owner.

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”