Ian73

B0 to B5

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Just bought a new Outlander Phev. Does the use of the B0 to B5 settings add much charge to the batteries?
AndyInOz

Re: B0 to B5

Unless you're on a long descent, you probably won't notice much difference.

I mainly notice the total lack of wear on the brake shoes.

:D
2014 PHEV Aspire, Arctic Silver;
Black Interior;
Hayman Reese removable tow bar;
1.5kW Solar, grid connected.
Ian73

What is the best B setting to be driving in? Average drive is all hills and round trip of 10 miles
zzcoopej

Ian73 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:10 pm Apologies if this has already been discussed. Just bought a new Outlander Phev. Does the use of the B0 to B5 settings add much charge to the batteries?
Actually it makes little difference to charge in the batteries as the foot brake pedal also uses regen wherever possible. Look at the power gauge while using the paddles and brake pedal. The B0-B5 paddles really just adjust the "zero point" - ie what happens when you have neither the accelerator or brake pressed. B0 = coast, B5 = slow down a lot.
Ian73

Thanks for the advice. Collecting it on Tuesday and i guess its the same as any other car. You learn how to drive it to make it work best for yourself.
ThudnBlundr

As mentioned, the car will use the max regen it can when you do press the brake pedal (based on battery percentage, temperature, etc.). You can also coast in any 'B' setting - changing the number merely alter the coasting point. You can set it coast when you lift your foot totally of the accelerator, or you can set it to slow down more rapidly. There are loads of good reasons for doing it either way so it comes down to personal preference. I prefer to use B5 and have the extra control if I want it without fiddling with the paddles. YMMV
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image
littlescrote

AndyInOz wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:16 pm I mainly notice the total lack of wear on the brake shoes.
Welcome back to the 1970s. Brake pads with discs, shoes are with drums.
ThudnBlundr wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:57 am As mentioned, the car will use the max regen it can when you do press the brake pedal (based on battery percentage, temperature, etc.). You can also coast in any 'B' setting - changing the number merely alter the coasting point. You can set it coast when you lift your foot totally of the accelerator, or you can set it to slow down more rapidly. There are loads of good reasons for doing it either way so it comes down to personal preference. I prefer to use B5 and have the extra control if I want it without fiddling with the paddles. YMMV
Exactly this!

I prefer B5 as it gives 'one pedal' driving most of the time, but it is inconsistent so you shouldn't just automatically assume that lifting will slow you down, as it has less effect in the cold, and less effect as the battery level nears full until there is no regen whatsoever on a full charge (either through accelerator pedal lift or brake pedal pressure).

As said, just watch the power gauge and correlate it to your pedal actions.
greendwarf

Whilst clearly you can't put energy via regen into a full battery, the B settings still have a deceleration effect, as I found when I was stuck in "engine started" mode with both a full tank & battery recently for several weeks of driving. Where the surplus energy goes I don't know or perhaps the software activates the brakes - as they say in Shakespeare in Love, "its a mystery". :lol:
Nibbo

greendwarf wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 am Whilst clearly you can't put energy via regen into a full battery, the B settings still have a deceleration effect, as I found when I was stuck in "engine started" mode with both a full tank & battery recently for several weeks of driving. Where the surplus energy goes I don't know or perhaps the software activates the brakes - as they say in Shakespeare in Love, "its a mystery". :lol:
That's not my experience at all. I always switch to B5 as soon as I start the car.
When I have a full battery it sometimes catches me out as it does not decelerate as quick as I am used to.
As soon as I have gone a couple of miles then the regen affects the way the car response to taking my foot off the accelerator again.
Maybe it is model specific? Mine is an older 15 plate (MY14?).
littlescrote

Nibbo wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 am
That's not my experience at all. I always switch to B5 as soon as I start the car.
When I have a full battery it sometimes catches me out as it does not decelerate as quick as I am used to.
As soon as I have gone a couple of miles then the regen affects the way the car response to taking my foot off the accelerator again.
Maybe it is model specific? Mine is an older 15 plate (MY14?).
Same here for my 2016. There is nowhere for it to go. It cannot, and does not, slow you down on a FULL charge. Anything less than totally full has a small retarding effect as indicated by the needle dropping into the blue, but on a full charge the needle stays flat, just as it does in B0.

Mitsubishi could have implemented a power sink resistor (but it would have to be massive) or application of brakes, to keep the retardation in each B mode consistent across battery charge levels and temperatures, but they did not. At least in my experience of my 2016 they did not.

If you're going fast enough, the resistance from air and tyres may be enough to believe that the retardation is coming from elsewhere, but at urban seeds it's very obvious that there is none.

Return to “Technical Discussions”