Towing limit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipaldi

Hi All,
Just been snooping around looking at caravans. Why is the PHEV limit so low at 1500kg for this size and weight of vehicle?

I was hoping to get a large twin axle to site seasonally but its looking out of the question now due to the towing capacity.

Has anyone pulled heavier than 1500kg? Is it a big no no to push it any higher for a 50 mile or so trip twice a year? Seems the twin axles start around 1650kg ish.
If I were planning on touring every weekend obviously I would stick with something under the 1500kg.

Does it matter why? The manufacturer has stated that's what is, and it's a legal limit. If you choose to ignore it, it's all on you.

Be glad that it's 1500kg, in some territories where it's sold it is considerably less (1500 lbs in some I believe).

Whilst UK legal towing limits are based on the weight of the vehicle - to minimise jack-knifing - like all EV drive trains, the PHEV struggles with initial forward movement from a standing start, especially on slopes. It can't even drive over a brick (or curb) if the tyre is resting against it!

Although it will pull with no problem once moving, there have been many posts over the years complaining about the standing start. Whether it is the legal limit or Mitsu wishing to avoid too many complaints, I don't know, but if you insist on towing excessive loads, you need yo be aware of this issue.

sipaldi said:
I was hoping to get a large twin axle to site seasonally but its looking out of the question now due to the towing capacity.

Has anyone pulled heavier than 1500kg?

The biggest van I have seen behind a PHEV was a "Hobby La Vita Veneto 495 UL" towed by none other than the "famous" (on this forum) ANKO from Netherlands.

I've sold my PHEV as even towing a Adria Altea 402PH was a struggle at times. Diesels still have their place.

jaapv said:
The post I referred to might have been in the Dutch PHEV forum.

I remember a photo of double axle trailer with a small back hoe loader (JCB type) on it but not the claimed weight and, yes, might have been in the Low Countries. :lol:

I have done a test tow with my 2021 PHEV staying under the 1500Kg limit for a 300KM caravan relocation. I read that battery depletion is the problem with towing a load so I stopped a few times in generation mode to keep the battery level above 50%. Total fuel consumption for the trip was 11l/100km. My motorway speed was not more than 80km/h, slowing to 70km/h on a few steeper inclines. The trip ended traversing across a rain sodden field which the 4WD Lock mode handled without a problem. I ran the PHEV Watchdog app for the whole trip keeping an eye on all the parameters.

Compared to the VW Tiguan 130kW diesel I usually tow this van with the fuel consumption is the same but the stability is slightly better on the PHEV with the longer wheelbase and Bilstein suspension.

I also tow a small box trailer often and the PHEV doesn't know its on.

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
The post I referred to might have been in the Dutch PHEV forum.

I remember a photo of double axle trailer with a small back hoe loader (JCB type) on it but not the claimed weight and, yes, might have been in the Low Countries. :lol:
That is the one, he claimed that weight. I can't find it as that forum is next to dead and has a grotty search function.

Back