Buying a Outlander Phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russell05

I am thinking of buying a Outlander Phev - either 2017 or 2018 - I definitely want the 2.0 version. I am thinking of the 5HS because I want heated seats, leather seats, heated steering wheel. I want the extras that the 5HS comes with because I am part - exchanging my FREELANDER HSE AUTO 2.2 - which has every extra going.

What I want to know is how good is the electric range - I commute about 24 miles a day round trip and does this car re - charge itself and if it does , how would I do it? What is the petrol range on it? And does the car switch seamlessly from electric to fuel once the battery dies? I have never driven a EV before but this car seems the one for me or SHOULD STICK WITH MY diesel LAND ROVER, THAT HAS ONLY DONE 46,000! I am also thinking of buying a low mileage PHEV - under 25,000 AND THERE A FEW on the market , to my surprise. I would also like to know if there is blue tooth wireless connection on this car because I have been told there isn't.

One last question do these cars come with sat nav built?

MANY THANKS -

Welcome. No, they do not have Satnav. You have to use Apple Carplay or the Android equivalent. The advantage: never out of date and you have a choice. I combine Flitsmeister (something like Waze) with Google Maps. Carplay connects through USB and is linked to Siri.
All PHEVs have Bluetooth which connects the handsfree phone and phone audio/Pod when Carplay is not enabled.
My range in summer is 40-45 km and 25-30 in winter, depending on traffic, road conditions, speed and in general the weight of my right foot. I do not bother to squeeze the last km out of the battery, though.
The car switches automatically between modes using rather complicated algorithms. There are a number of controls to influence the behaviour. The switching between petrol and electricity is so smooth that you won't notice it. The only thing that you will notice is a slight hesitation when accelerating flat out before the engine kicks in with supplementary power.
Yes, the car can recharge itself but that is not very efficient. The best way to use it is to recharge from the grid at night and at work and use the electricity on secondary roads. If you try to drive EV on the motorway the range drops dramatically - it is not a full EV, but a hybrid with a decent electric range. - two totally different concepts.

To be fair, the PHEV is as good as any other hybrid or EV at recharging itself.

To increase your range in winter, you'll be able to preheat the car while it's connected to the mains so that you don't waster energy using the battery or ICE to heat the car once you've set off. Plus it defrosts the windscreen and car on cold days. You need to check the timings as the initial power draw is more than the mains can supply, but it soon reduces.

5HS does have satnav, but like most in-built ones it's a bit naff.

Where are you, as you may be able to get someone local to show you around theirs and take you for a drive. In summer it might just about do the 24 miles on battery only, depends on the speed and hill profile.

I don't understand your question about recharging. You plug it in to charge the battery, once that's empty or you press a button to save what capacity you have left it switches between petrol and battery automatically.

The previous answer refers to the SAVE button option, which forces the car to use primarily the ICE whilst holding back some battery charge for later e.g. steep hills at speed.

However, there is also a CHARGE button which runs the ICE continuously irrespective of whether it is needed to turn the wheels e.g. when stationary in traffic. This "extra" power puts charge back into the battery, if you have run low and expect to need some later, as above. It is, usually, a much more expensive way of charging the battery than plugging in to the mains

I've been driving PHEV for about 5 years and have seldom found a need to use <CHARGE>. About the only time it makes sense to me is when I have no charge left (which is normally not a problem) and I know a large mountain climb is coming up. In that case I'll run in <CHARGE> for 15 or 30 minutes before the climb and then toggle between regular mode and <SAVE> to give the car a bit of extra juice in the steep sections. Not sure if makes much difference, but I don't have heavy loads or roof racks, etc.

Back