Help! Parked in cold weather and starting system won't turn OFF

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasjm

Please help!

I'm on a skiing trip, and parked my Outlander PHEV outside in cold weather (about -25 C on average over this past 10 days). I unburied my car from the snow and tried to start it and it wouldn't properly start (not surprised, I figured I'd have to boost it) - but even worse, now it won't turn off. When I press the start/stop button, it does nothing. if I hold it down or press it three times quickly, it seems like it is off. But the display on the MMS keeps flashing and the start/top button remains orange. When I leave the car it beeps at me similar to when the car is on but you leave with the key. I can't lock the doors.

I want to boost the car but I'm scared to do it if the car thinks it is still on. Can someone please help?? I really hope someone reads this soon. I can't find ANYTHING like this on this forum or on Google...

Update:

I waited for over five minutes and the car kept doing that. I went in and tried more searching online, posted this, read the manual, etc. After about 30 minutes I went out and the start button wasn't orange any more. But when I opened the door it still complained at me. So I took the chance the boost my vehicle's battery and it worked. I'm not sure how long the battery has been low, but does running the vehicle keep that battery charged, similar to the alternator of regular ICE vehicles? I'm really confused as to how this car works regarding that kind of thing.

As long as the car is on (running or not), it will charge the 12V battery from the high voltage battery. If you have a wifi module and it has been connected to your phone at least once, the car will also top up the 12V battery from the high voltage battery every day at 2 PM.
You just must make sure that the high voltage battery is not completely empty when you park for a long time.

According to my manual, anything below minus 15c is outside its operating range and you cannot expect it to perform properly, if at all :eek:

Hi! Don't worry, it's ok.

When auxiliary battery voltage falls under 11.3 volts, then some ECUs goes off, but not everyone. And from this moment you are unable to turn off the car. One by one the car's systems shutting down, while voltage drops down to 5 volts. Then it stops to fall because most of ECUs are down. But still not all. KOS running maybe. That's funny. I got this issue too a couple weeks ago. Me and my friends in Russia often have -25 or -30 Celsius on the outside so we often get this issue.

Just replase the auxiliary battery by new one.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Let me try to summarize, so make sure I understand correctly. I need to dumb it down a little :)

So from what I'm gathering, there's two batteries in the PHEV. One is the main drive battery which is charged when the car is plugged in overnight for example. The other battery is 12V and is for starting the car and running accessories? And the main drive battery charges the 12V battery when the car is running. The main drive battery also tops up the 12V daily as long as the main drive battery has sufficient charge itself.

Does that sound right? So perhaps if my drive battery were fully charged, I may not have been in this position?

Thanks everyone!

Yes it's right, but for the last part (topping the 12V battery daily) it will only do it on the models that have the wifi module installed, *and* configured (i.e. connected at least once to the app on your phone)

"Running" is a bit of a misnomer. Whenever the car is "On" or charging the drive battery, the DC-DC converter will be running the 12V electrical system and charging the 12V battery. The 12V battery is basically needed to run things when the car is off, and then to start the computers and connect the drive battery to the car when the car is switched On. The drive battery would have to be extremely low or very cold for it not to be able to run the 12V systems once the car is On.

) it will only do it on the models that have the wifi module installed, *and* configured (i.e. connected at least once to the app on your phone)

When you say the wifi module, I assume you mean the Mitsubishi Remote Ctrl app on my phone? But do you mean I need to use that app to set the configuration to make it top up the charge daily? Or that I need to use the app daily? Or is the fact that I've use the app at least once previously sufficient enough to make it top up daily?

Thanks again!

Yes I meant that, and you just need to have used it once. Then the wifi module is active and the car will do the 12 v battery charge every day at 2 pm. (and beep while it is doing it, this car loves beeping all the time)

mbasjm said:
) it will only do it on the models that have the wifi module installed, *and* configured (i.e. connected at least once to the app on your phone)

When you say the wifi module, I assume you mean the Mitsubishi Remote Ctrl app on my phone? But do you mean I need to use that app to set the configuration to make it top up the charge daily? Or that I need to use the app daily? Or is the fact that I've use the app at least once previously sufficient enough to make it top up daily?

Thanks again!

It's better to replase AUX battery. Or, if you standing on, find good boost next time before you'll get another nitght in cold weather.

i have seen in different post that if you have the wifi module on it will charge your car 12v battery every day at the same time from the main battery. my question is where is that famous wifi module ? I dont understand what you mean is it in the car or on the app; because on the app i cant find it i have a 2020 outlander and have suffered a 12v battery goin flat after 3 days of no charging the main battery.

nrayanov said:
Can you provide a picture or screen from manual?

Why do you want to know where it is? Bear in mind left for someone else may not be left for you depending on LHD/RHD.

You don't need to find it to interact it with it. It's either fitted or it isn't. If it is, you can use the lock/unlock sequence to have it tell you how many devices are connected, reset it, add your device etc. To add your phone, you need the network SSID and password for it. If you don't have those, no point in going any further.

littlescrote said:
nrayanov said:
Can you provide a picture or screen from manual?

Why do you want to know where it is? Bear in mind left for someone else may not be left for you depending on LHD/RHD.

You don't need to find it to interact it with it. It's either fitted or it isn't. If it is, you can use the lock/unlock sequence to have it tell you how many devices are connected, reset it, add your device etc. To add your phone, you need the network SSID and password for it. If you don't have those, no point in going any further.

How can I understand if I have it (without looking for it)?

I am pretty sure the left side of the car is always on the left, whether it is RHD, LHD or mind controlled. :roll:

Manufacturers refer to left hand from when you sit in the seat inside the car.

nrayanov said:

Ask a local dealer if you have it. If they go onto the vehicle database they can tell from the Bill of Materials

DibbyDibbyDJ said:
nrayanov said:

Ask a local dealer if you have it. If they go onto the vehicle database they can tell from the Bill of Materials

The car is not from a local dealer, it's a Mitsubishi Outlander 2020 PHEV GT imported from Vancouver, Canada.

The local dealer is not very cooperative with cars that are not bought through them, even though I had a petrol Mitsubishi Outlander 2020 bought from them just 2 years ago (long story short a sleeping driver crushed into us, we got lucky all without a scratch, even the baby, but the car got totaled, hence the one above).

Back