13 mile range when fully charged!?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joninthecape

I purchased my 2018 Outlander PHEV and for the first 6 months it got about 20 mi. on a full charge. Then it dropped to 17 miles for the next year or so. Last year it dropped to 13 miles on a full charge! I took it to my dealer, but they said they fully checked everything and it was fine. So I took it to another dealer, where they said they installed a new computer and it got back to 20 miles on full charge. But after only a month or so it was back to 17 miles. In another month it was back to 13 miles. I took it back to the dealer and they had the factory (?) Check it out. Everything was fine. I said it must be the level one charger that came with it. Does anyone have a similar experience. I purchased an odbc plug and it reported a 68% charge when fully charged!

You don't say what the mileage is but the battery reading seems in line with the range, because at no more than 4 years old it is knackered! :oops:

All the dealer did was fool the car into thinking it had a newer battery (by using some of the buffer) but that quickly wears off - as you have found out. If you are unhappy with that sort of range then the only "cure" is a new battery, I'm afraid. :(

NB. My 2014 car with 55k miles still delivers 20+ miles and hasn't been "buggered about" with.

Before getting an informed answer, we need to know:

- ambient temperature
- what kind of driving are you doing ... freeway, highspeed
- are you pulling a trailer, have a roof rack, of excessive weight in the car
- have you had the tires and brakes checked
- climate settings

All of the above have a great, detrimental, effect on battery milage.

And, are you getting 13 miles driving or is that just what the dashboard guess-o-meter is reading?

But if he only shows 68% battery when fully charged that suggests the battery is knackered. We also don't know if it was bought new or second hand and could have had lots of damaging rapid charge cycles in even 20k miles. :idea:

BTW can't see how the home charger can produce different ranges - it is the car itself.

Ok, so will try to answer you questions. I purchased the car on January 1, 2019. I drive mostly around town, at speeds under 50mph. I'm in Florida so temps are 80+F. and 90 plus in Summer.

joninthecape said:
Ok, so will try to answer you questions. I purchased the car on January 1, 2019. I drive mostly around town, at speeds under 50mph. I'm in Florida so temps are 80+F. and 90 plus in Summer.

If you are using the AirCon with those ambient temps then 13 miles is about right.

I have a 21 plate PHEV the which gives very poor return on battery or fuel. This morning it was fully charged and showed 33 miles of electric driving. After I had driven 15 miles the range was now down to 9 remaining, so I am once running on my 25 miles /gallon petrol engine.
To answer some questions before they're asked – no I don't use the heater much or the air-conditioning at all.

Is it me

Although high speed driving and hills are a range killer - it is not aerodynamic and weighs 2 tonnes! :idea:

joninthecape said:
I purchased my 2018 Outlander PHEV and for the first 6 months it got about 20 mi. on a full charge. Then it dropped to 17 miles for the next year or so. Last year it dropped to 13 miles on a full charge! I took it to my dealer, but they said they fully checked everything and it was fine. So I took it to another dealer, where they said they installed a new computer and it got back to 20 miles on full charge. But after only a month or so it was back to 17 miles. In another month it was back to 13 miles. I took it back to the dealer and they had the factory (?) Check it out. Everything was fine. I said it must be the level one charger that came with it. Does anyone have a similar experience. I purchased an odbc plug and it reported a 68% charge when fully charged!

Was this in Sarasota? 2018 SEL in Quartz Brown?

Back