PHEV Wheel Size

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TropicalPHEV

Wondering if anyone can help based on their experience...do non PHEV Outlander wheels (petrol or diesel) fit the PHEV? (If they are the same size :D )

More specifically I have a MY 19 and would like a spare wheel and tyre for long distance trip, and am wondering can I buy a used Outlander wheel and use it?
From what I can see the wheel size (18x7) and tyre size seem to be the same but yet to see anyone writing they have tried a petrol / diesel Outlander wheel, and Mitsu dont list them as compatible.

Thanks

Well they certainly look the same, but I'd have thought that it would be a lot easier to find a used PHEV wheel as I'm thinking that there are likely to be a lot more PHEV vs diesel Outlanders anyway. Got mine of Ebay - around £500 for four alloys, and got them powder coated for £50 each. There are usually PHEV wheel/tyre combinations on ebay from breakers.

I've always carried a spare wheel (using the tie-down points in the boot - you don't want a PHEV wheel/tyre loose in the car if you had to do any dramatic braking) and there was an occasion in the wilds of Northumberland, in the snow, when I was very grateful that I did. The tyre repair squish and pump wouldn't have been any use at all as the slash on the inside wall of the tyre was about 50mm long. I find that most of the time the spare isn't in the way, and it helps to contain the shopping.

I have two sets of alloys and tyres with their own dedicated TPMS valves, one for winter and one for summer (there are two TPMS valve positions available within the PHEVs electrical system, but they have to be programmed by a main dealer to read correctly). So I just carry one wheel/tyre from whichever set isn't fitted at the time.

Obviously the TPMS valve from my 'spare' would come up as an error if that wheel was fitted, (I guess it wouldn't if the TPMS valve for the spare was cloned - but mine have a different set of codes and are not cloned) but that doesn't matter for the time you'll need to use it. So I guess if you just carry the same spare wheel/tyre all the time then you don't need a TPMS valve fitted to it at all - you'll just get an TPMS error while it's in use. Don't forget to carry an extendable wheelbrace as well as the Mitsubishi supplied item isn't up to much on a dark night.

Hey NightPHEVer thanks for your reply...where I live (Northern WA) the idea of two sets of tyres for different seasons is an exotic idea, it usually only takes 6 months to go through a set of tyres!! Whats more, things in the Land of Oz are so bad at the moment that the dealer wouldn't even estimate how long it would take to get me a wheel!!

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, I went to the wreckers and tried on the wheel from the non PHEV model and discovered....

They are the same, there was plenty of room between the brakes and the wheel and the computer didn't make any complaints when I drove it around. So $300 later I was on my way. The wheel and tyre fit quite nicely behind the passenger seat on the folded down seat, with a well located tie down point making it easy to secure it. (Needless to mention that over the next week and 5000 kilometres there was no need for a spare!! :roll: the 4 tyres were all fine.

The guy at the wreckers also made an interesting point, he commented that he had noticed that the size of the brakes on the PHEV were bigger however only on the front wheels, so if you were stuck and had a spare wheel that didn't fit, you could try swapping the back wheels to the front and the spare to the back. So next time I get stuck and am lying under the car pondering how I am going to get out, I will bear that in mind.

Definitely will fit. No question about it.
The only issue you may have is if the tire circumference do not match the rest (to some threshold) it will throw an error and S-AWC won't work.
Better that than stranded in the middle of nowhere.

As long as the wheel is large enough to fit over the brakes, there are only 3 measurements that matter for fitting a new wheel: PCD, centre bore and offset. You can be slightly flexible with the last, but the other 2 must match to be safe. There are several sites that list these figures for most makes/models - I use this one. Looking for our Outlander (no special mention of the PHEV) you can see that the measurements are PCD=5x114.3; bore=67.1; offset=38. Looking further down the page, you can see that there are loads of models whose wheels would fit as long as the wheels are large enough and the offset isn't too far off, including the odd Ferrari!

I actually found a brand new aluminum wheels for 100 bucks (PCD=5x114.3; bore=66.1 instead of 67.1; offset=4X)
Different offset and annoyingly 1mm smaller bore but after an hour of grinding - in reality only 0.5mm was needed, I have managed to fit them. :mrgreen:

Back