Excessive petrol consumption

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albacore

Hi

I've had my Phev for 6 years and have not had a moment's problem with it. At the last service they changed the front pads for the first time at 65k miles. All good I thought ...however I have since noticed really excessive petrol consumption. On my commute to work of 6 miles with a depleted battery I am seeing mpg of about 5mpg and turtle mode up hills....all very odd. When battery is used it's not as severe but this morning for example I drove 20 miles (to the garage) with full battery.... Ev Range 15 miles, but lots of opportunity for regen on hills. On arriving at the garage I had driven using 88% electric, starting with a range of 320 miles and ending at 265 mile range. AVG mpg 36mpg, I would normally expect it to be high 70-80 mpg on such a journey will full battery. On a longer journey when I first noticed the problem overall starting will full battery I was seeing less than 20mpg overall.... I used to get 27mpg generally when towing a 1.5 tonne caravan for 250 miles; and solo for 400 miles average about 45mpg! Something is not right. No warning lights, or strange noises just very very poor performance higher than normal
reving,. Anyone else experience this type of scenario? Suspect the garage will not find anything, and probably think I'm being daft.

Agree with the above. The pistons and/or sliders were probably corroded in the outer position with worn pads, and they've just shoved new pads in and pushed the pistons and sliders back without adequate cleaning and lubrication and they are now sticking. If that is the case, new calipers under recall should be the outcome.

That was also what I suggested to them when it first occurred.... they've said they will reset the batteries so have booked it back in for a couple of days. On way back today I went from 265 mile range to 197miles in 20 miles..... told her that - not interested. When talking to the engineer I also said I had seen a yellow warning triangle with exclamation mark a few weeks ago, it's gone now but there was no message which he was surprised about. Engineer said that means something is wrong but as there was no message with it so he couldn't know what it was. I've got a picture but they are not interested as there is no message. There is nothing in the book about yellow triangle with ! and couldn't find anything online, aside from people saying Mitsubishi didn't know what it was. Great!
I said to her again I wondered if it was something more physical, as the car sounds more creaky than it used to and is sticky when pulling away.... again not interested - she said the MOT next week will pick that up. They are not doing MOT, so if the garage does find an issue with the front brakes I will have to try and cross charge them. Engineer was trying to say to me it was the way I drove because there were no leaves...hello! its underpowered!! Normally I drive really carefully to eke out battery life - probably why I got 65k miles out of my front pads due to using the paddles most of the time.

Is this a dealer? Complain to Mitsubishi. And change dealers. If I am a paying customer and the firm gives the impression that they think that I am daft, I change from daft to obnoxious and never return.
BTW, the brakes themselves do the same as the paddles, the first bit of braking is not by mechanical means but by regen.

Please don't use the term engineer for these people, it's an insult to us real professional engineers.

Yes, it is a mitsubishi service centre - they are a bit thin on the ground now that Mitsubishi have pulled out of the UK.

So MOT day and a big fail due to front brakes imbalanced across axle and nearside brake excessively binding. Even had the brake squealer sounding the other day after just 1500 miles. To say I am pissed off is an understatement.. I told the dealer it was a physical problem since they changed the brakes but they refused to listen. Getting my local garage to replace pads and calipers tomorrow, as I need the car.... And I don't trust mitsubishi anymore.

Straight forward breach of consumer law - threaten them with legal action - although strictly speaking you should have allowed them to fix problem first and got a refusal in writing before getting work done - make sure local garage gives you a report and any removed parts, in case you have to go to court.

NB. Nothing to with Mitsu, per se, as UK Dealer franchise is a different business AFAIK

Back