Main Battery Replacement Options

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhevGeorge

Hi Everyone

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it.

My UK 2015 PHEV Battery is starting to show it's age and before the Battery Warranty expires, I wanted to explore my future options. I wondered if the newer 2018/19 13.8KWh batteries were backward compatible with the older cars such as mine?

Secondly, after a lot of googling, I have never been able to ascertain the cost of a NEW replacement Battery in the UK, nor can I find anyone offering to strip and re-build with NEW Cells - Is there anyone out there that has pursued either of these options?

Thanks for the good work

I don't know about the fitting the newer ones but I have always assumed a new battery would cost between £5 & £8k before fitting. I used the price difference between EVs which lease or sell you the battery with the car.

I was wondering also about 13.8KWh batteries. Is compatible with 2016 cars? Or we need change BMU with battery?

A member of the big UK Facebook group has been experimenting with exactly this. You can't swap the entire pack, but you can swap all 80 cells from the new to the old packs. You need to retain the old modules and their electronics (CMUs), because the new ones aren't compatible with the old BMU.

Finally, you'll need to run the 5-step process in FAQ section A.4 (use the age and odo of the new cells, obviously). More info in the UK group’s FAQ: https://www.facebook.com/groups/342911965900842/announcements/

Thanks very much for the link Richi. I've avoided using Facebook thus far, but can see the benefits and need to get Modern.
I note that this forum seems to be losing its steam a little and on my devices, is giving serious performance/security issues, so Facebook it is!

The thing is, the community in that group prefers not to wade through a cesspit of abuse, swearing and scams (not that I'm suggesting you've been guilty of any of that).

It's a decision made several years ago—before my time. I simply reflect the community's preferences.

I'm aware that this means a few people won't want to participate, but they're far outnumbered by members who value the group's positive, constructive vibe.

Back