Shell Recharge Charger for Level 2 charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, new Outlander owner here. I had installed a NEMA 14-50 240 volt outlet (knowing this is way overkill for the Outlander, but anticipating a pure EV in the future). I also picked up the Shell Oil Co. Recharge Charger 32 amp Level 2 charger model with a coupon at Amazon basically because it has the 14-50 plug match. Again this unit is way overkill for the Outlander, but I must say the professional packaging and initial feel of this unit is great.
Question 1. I know the Outlander's onboard converter limits the level 2 charge rate to 3.7kw, but does the extra power available from the outlet somehow potentially hurt?
Question 2. The charger unit cycled down to a level 1 rate (near 1kw) near the end of the charge cycle on the battery - assume this is normally cautious behavior?
Question 3. Using this aftermarket and not the Outlander branded granny cable that came with the car, I get no dash panel indication note confirming that the charge is completed and full (unlike with the granny cable, which confirms). I do get a picture of a full battery. Is this normal for an aftermarket charger unit?
Thanks,
Charles

Question 1: no there is no risk. As you said yourself the onboard charger limits the power draw itself, even if there is more available on the socket.
Question 2: this is normal and due to the manner lithium ion batteries are charged. At the beginning of the charge cycle the charger uses a constant current regulation, and the voltage slowly increases as the cells are charged. During this phase the power is the maximum allowed for the battery and the charger. As the voltage reaches the maximum, the charger switches to a constant voltage mode, and the current slowly decreases until the cells are fully charged. During this phase the total power decreases and the charge gets slower and slower.

Thank you Daixiwen. I think it is correct to say that the onboard charger does not waste any excess capacity in the line - so if the charging line could give you 50 amps, it won't take that 50 amps and waste most of it because it limits its serving of electricity to the 3 or so amps that it needs? Funny I've watched a whole lot of videos and researched the issue on the net -- no express answer to this question that I could find.

Yes you are right. If you have a 50 amp line, it is just the maximum current that the line can safely deliver. The charger will just take the current it needs, as long as it's under the maximum supported by the line.

Thanks. By the way my new 14-50 outlet has a rainproof cover. Been raining all day and the outlet is bone dry. Have been charging with the Shell Recharge charger at 240 volt in the rain. Still like the granny Mitsu charger during dry overnight charging, as it is considerably lighter (but has a rain-exposed outlet adapter).

Back