front motor coolant CVT oil change

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusanhu

Hi,

I am preparing to replace the front motor coolant CVT oil, but I have hard time to find part numbers or parameters of the plug gaskets. (filler, leveller, drain).
Is there anyone who might be able to share that information?

thank you

As always, Richi's FAQ is a great source of information. There's a thread about it on the UK PHEV FB page with links to the global page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/342911965900842/permalink/935422056649827/

It's unclear from your wording, but you know it's not a CVT, don't you? There are gears in there, but they're all fixed ratio with clutches like a regular slushbox. The oil could be called "CVT oil" at a stretch as it could be used in a CVT, but it is simply SP3 automatic transmission fluid.

Thank you very much for your response!

I would like to change the front EV motor coolant fluid, which is a CVT fluid by specification.
Front_EV_fluid.png

(years ago when I bought my Outlander I did some quite detailed research to set up my maintenance plan, based on the factory maintenance guide + wisdom from different forums on the Internet. I don't have the source now, but I found somewhere that this front EV motor coolant fluid should be replaced yearly, so my car mechanic does that ever year. I usually depend on luck, and hope he has matching size gaskets available or reuse the old gasket(and hope it won't leak), but this year I try to be prepared better, so I am trying to buy those gaskets in advance, but no luck finding the part numbers/sizes anywhere)

I don't know where you got your info from but my owner's handbook, service schedule from 2014 has the front motor lubricant as a lifetime product with the rear one to be replaced after 20 years. Yearly "inspection" yes but no annual "change". Also, fluid volume is given as 2.2 litres not 1.5!

Yep, this is amongst the items which are not part of the official service schedule, but some people decides to replace it, due to common wisdom, which might or might not be necessary at all. :D

As it is a 5 minute job, I ask the mechanic to perform it during the yearly maintenance.

Instructions including the fluid volume comes from here: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander_iii/online/Service_Manual_2013/2014/index_M1.htm

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outla...ual_2013/2014/14/html/M114300100001601ENG.HTM

Also my experience shows that it takes 1.5 liter up to the leveller hole.

Your info is for the Outlander fitted with a CVT transmission - not available in the UK. Anyway the PHEV does not have that transmission, and it certainly does not have an oil filter for that oil! It merely has a transmission with fixed gears and clutches, like a regular automatic transmission, hence the oil does not need to cope with the slippage inherent in a CVT. Read the threads on FB that I linked to in my earlier post.

greendwarf said:
I don't know where you got your info from but my owner's handbook, service schedule from 2014 has the front motor lubricant as a lifetime product with the rear one to be replaced after 20 years. Yearly "inspection" yes but no annual "change". Also, fluid volume is given as 2.2 litres not 1.5!

That's in the UK/Europe. In some markets like Down Under it's a service item.

May I hop on this thread (as a newbie on here): I've been surfing around the net trying to establish whether there is just one oil for the front motor / generator / transmission or two separate ones?

I've done the 'normal' change (about 3 1/2 litres of SP3 type ATF, I've used Mannol 8209) but there appears to be a separate drain / filler at the front of the unit. I had reason to drop the engine from mine, and quickly plugged the lines that go to the front of the unit, but to my eyes the little bit of fluid I did see looked clear / honey - coloured, compared to the old, dark 160K mile ATF that came from the main unit.

Duhansu is this the fluid you refer to?

Back