2023 North American

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lon12

Finally picked up our car yesterday. Please feel free to ask questions or request pictures.
We owned a 2018 GT previous. I'm just posting some differences as I come across them.
Unlike the previous model it will let you use the HVAC heating while plugged into a level 2.
Also displays where the power is going. If you demand more than the charger can supply it will use both the shore power and the battery.
Charging Display:
ChargingDisplay.jpgChargingHighConsumption.jpgChargingOnlyHVAC.jpg

Anyone else seeing this behaviour when the battery is almost full charging? Hope it is normal for the new battery.
ChargingGraph.jpg

At the end of the charging cycle, there is a 'cell leveling' stage...

I think that's what you're seeing there.

Any idea when "The Dog" (PHEV WatchDog) will be available for the new battery? I've written the developer but didn't get a response.

Me and my Wife drove down to Miami yesterday and purchased a new 23 Outlander PHEV SEL with Premium package. We had to go about 200 miles to find one in the color ( red ) that she wanted! We recently sold our Mustang Mach E so we already have a level 2 charger in the garage. Charged it up last night but I still haven’t driven it yet.

Rockwallrick said:
Me and my Wife drove down to Miami yesterday and purchased a new 23 Outlander PHEV SEL with Premium package. We had to go about 200 miles to find one in the color ( red ) that she wanted! We recently sold our Mustang Mach E so we already have a level 2 charger in the garage. Charged it up last night but I still haven’t driven it yet.
Congrats on your new Outlander PHEV
we also have to drive 100 miles down to San Diego to get the PHEV SEL Premium - White Diamond with Black top, just drove back this afternoon, so far I'm impressed with the EV drive mode, on the way we charge with EA Chademo, takes almost 45 min from 5% - 80 %.

Had time to play with the different regen settings this morning. Looks like the engine will always start if you select a paddle regen setting greater than "D" when in EV mode if the battery has a high state of charge. Assuming they wanted to use engine braking to simulate the higher regen setting when the battery can't take the higher amount of regen power. Not sure what charge level you need to be at to not start the engine but here are some numbers from 60% state of charge (engine off):
B5 = 32 kW regen
B4 = 24 kW
B3 = 20 kW
B2 = 12 kW
B1= 4 kW
When brakes are applied you get full deflection to indicate 40 kW.

Full power in EV mode gives 80 kW. Power mode selection gives 160 kW. Cold battery I've seen give only 45 kW.
PHEVPowerMeter.jpg

I believe when the battery has a high state of charge the power from regen goes to the generator which is turning the engine to act as a brake.
The engine is not using fuel in this mode of working though, but you don't recuperate energy as well.

Anawilliam said:
Congratulations on your new car! It's great to hear that you are already noticing some differences from your previous model.

Can you tell me more about the HVAC heating feature while plugged into a level 2 charger? How does it work and is it more efficient than using the regular heating system while driving on the battery?

Also, what is the range of your new car and have you noticed any differences in the battery performance compared to your previous model?
My 2018 would only blow cold air when plugged into a level 2. This one will actually use the heat pump to heat.... provided it's above -15ºC outside. I'm assuming the heat pump uses the same power parked or driving on the battery.
Guessometer is showing around 60 km range in this cold winter weather.
Biggest difference is that a cold battery will limit the available EV power to below 50 kW (Normal is 80 kW). I never recorded the power output of the old PHEV but if it did limit the power it was not noticeable like it is with the new model.

Thank you for posting MY2023 info here.

My wife is hogging my PHEV MY2018 until I get her the Toyota RAV4 Prime. Instead I bought a Mirai :)

Without the Tax credit, it is really difficult to buy either PHEV…

My plan in 2026 is to trade Mirai for RAV4 Prime (white) and trade Outlander PHEV MY2018 for MY2023 (red).

Tai

Lon12 said:
My 2018 would only blow cold air when plugged into a level 2. This one will actually use the heat pump to heat.... provided it's above -15ºC outside.
Your 2018 was with clogged filter or malfunctioning 4way valve.
My 2018 blows hot air even at -25ºC. For few days we had even -30ºC and preheat was working.

From what I heard 2023 is an igloo at those temperatures.

We just went over 1K miles today on our 2023 Outlander PHEV. So far we have been beating the estimates getting 45 miles of EV range and about 70 mpge. I have only put gas in it one time so far after 6 weeks of ownership. During the winter months we can pretty much get by without heat or AC although we have turned on the heated seats a couple times. My Wife loves to drive with the sunroof open! :cool:

Rockwallrick said:
During the winter months we can pretty much get by without heat or AC although we have turned on the heated seats a couple times. My Wife loves to drive with the sunroof open! :cool:
Winter months... central Florida, man don't tease us like that. ;)

kpetrov said:
Lon12 said:
My 2018 would only blow cold air when plugged into a level 2. This one will actually use the heat pump to heat.... provided it's above -15ºC outside.
My 2018 blows hot air even at -25ºC. For few days we had even -30ºC and preheat was working.

Guess I should have clarified. If you use the App on the 2018 it will preheat when plugged into a level 2. Just won't heat if you are sitting in the car and try to use the HVAC with in car controls.

Lon12 said:
kpetrov said:
Lon12 said:

Guess I should have clarified. If you use the App on the 2018 it will preheat when plugged into a level 2. Just won't heat if you are sitting in the car and try to use the HVAC with in car controls.
As a matter of fact It will preheat with the app even when not plugged at all. When plugged in level 1 it will definitely preheat.
When using HVAC controls will heat up, but probably will start your engine, depend of ambient temperature and temperature set.

kpetrov said:
Lon12 said:
kpetrov said:

As a matter of fact It will preheat with the app even when not plugged at all. When plugged in level 1 it will definitely preheat.
When using HVAC controls will heat up, but probably will start your engine, depend of ambient temperature and temperature set.
I think we are saying the same thing. Using the App will preheat the car fine.
I can't remember the mode in the 2018 exactly but I'm pretty sure the engine will not start if the car is plugged in. I know with the 2023 it will not go into Ready mode when plugged in.

I just noticed that the coloured "Pie" areas in the Charge/EV gauge area are divided into 10 kW sections. So in this picture I'm pulling 40 kW of regen:
Regen2.jpeg

Back