Sudden change in drive characteristics

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBurger

Hi all - when driving home tonight on the motorway (100Km/h) I felt a sudden change in the way my 2013 was handling at speed - usually the steering is very direct and responsive with a light wheel, but all of a sudden when taking a bend in the motorway it felt heavy, sluggish and almost, 'squishy' in the steering feedback (ie: a quick steering wheel wiggle side to side hardly moved the nose of the car) to the extent that I pulled over to check for flat tyres - all of which were fine!

I carefully drove the rest of the way to my exit, and as I was pulling off the motorway and braking towards a roundabout I could hear what sounded like the ABS/S-AWC fighting hard as I was turning (30-35Km/h). Subsequent low speed tests in a side street resulted in me being able to trigger this ABS-like sound by wriggling the wheel back and forth 10deg doing 20-30Km/h. The S-AWC indicators were lighting up 2-3 bars on either side as I was doing this and hearing the ABS sound.

Checked for codes via Torque and phev watchdog via OBDII - all clear, no warning lights, nothing obvious! Stumped!

Grateful for any input as to what could have upset the car, and what I ought to request be checked if I take it to a Mitsubishi garage.

Cheers

Had you been through any particularly wet or muddy conditions?

I'm wondering if the ABS/AWC sensors may have become dirty.

Back