New Outlander with issues

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinu

HI everyone,
its so great to be here. I finally got my new to me 2016 outlander phev. Its been great but after a week (yes a week) I started having issues. Mainly I have errors popping up. This is what I get.

Close fuel lid and cap
engine overheating stop safely
ev system service required, stop safely

Anyone have any ideas what I can do. Its booked into the dealer but they were next available on the 24th February. The car drives but only on electric. The petrol engine doesnt kick in not even under full acceleration, nor if I turn on charge mode or save mode.

Im hopeful to get ideas as to what this may be. Im starting to blame the 12v battery as these errors are too haphazard

Also, engine is not overheating, this is after 24hrs in the garage doing nothing. I could touch the radiator with my hands, and the fuel cap and lid were never opened in my 1 week of ownership. Either way I checked it and it was closed.

Diagnosing random CAN bus errors is hard.

It is basically a computer network, that allows devices to throw messages to each other, without knowing if there is a receiver at the other end, and without any kind of 'server' controlling the communications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

Things you can try.
  1. If you have any non Mitsubishi devices connected to CAN bus i.e. for example if you've fitted and ODB2 dongle to run the watchdog software, remove that device. (Users have reported errors caused by ODB2 dongles previously)
  2. Check the 12V battery connections, make sure they are seated correctly and tight.
  3. Make sure that the 12V battery is holding sufficient voltage.
  4. Check the cables connected to the devices that are reporting errors, make sure they are plugged in correctly.
  5. Make a general check of the car's wiring, look for damaged cables or loose plugs everywhere.
  6. Somewhere, there should be terminating resistors on the legs of the network, try to find them and make sure that they are connected.
    (I'm relying on wiki here, I've never tried doing this)

It could easily be that there is one device on the network that is failing, and it is causing problems everywhere.

Hopefully, one of the more technical members, who has worked with CAN bus can assist further

Tried disconnecting the 12v battery and left it diaconnected for a full hour. Errors remained

Now i learnt that if i leave the car unplugged for more than 24hrs, the errors disappear and i can use the car in a normal manner

It would be interesting to know if a previous owner has done something to 'stop the engine from starting' like pulling a fuse, or putting in some kind of kill switch...

Let us know what you find.

Anawilliam said:
It's also worth noting that the engine in the Outlander PHEV may not always kick in, even under full acceleration, as it is designed to operate as a hybrid vehicle. However, the fact that it's not turning on at all could be a cause for concern.

The one time that you really can expect the engine to come in is full acceleration!

Other members have pointed out that you can control this, by putting the car into 'Charge' mode, before you want a burst of available power.

I've used that for overtaking up hills, and it is fun seeing the surprised expressions as you go past.

:lol:

You have to check DTC fault what causes this failure. The easiest is to use some simple OBDII tool connected to OBD and read on mobile. I have similar problem in my car, error appears from time to time. This error is caused by Code No. P1A44 Detecting Ground Fault and P1A46 Leak Sensor Detection Circuit in my car, detected by the drive battery ground fault detector module installed in the drive battery, but is related to low isolation resistance in EV system.
I haven't located the component causing this problem yet.

Hi everyone,
so here is an update. Took the car to the dealership and they connected their computers to the car. Mind you, the errors cleared themselves from the car so they had nothing to work with. They logged in and only found 1 error from the TPM. They checked battery voltages and SOH and everything seemed fine. They charged the car for me (that is when I started seeing errors) and nothing showed up. The car sorta fixed itself.

Im not sure Im too happy about this as this error can pop up any time. Anyways...will drive it a few more days and see what happens.

Faulty engine relay can give you those all errors all together.
I am killing the main engine relay for pure EV mode and those same errors popping up.
There is an recall for the exact relay cause it's sticking. Ask if your vehicle has been serviced for that recall.

You won't have an engine running at all though, so it could be something else.

Hi,

This is kind of off topic but I need to know why this happened. So I parked my car in my garage after coming from the office. And by chance, I forgot the keys inside. There were no lights on, nothing and the battery were dead early morning. I didn't know what happened. All the lights were off. I tried to jump-start the car but it didn't help. I checked the battery water that was also OK. I also tried pushing the car to start in 2nd gear but no luck and in the end, I have to call the mechanic to take care of the battery.

Now I wanted to know why this happened. As the car keys were inside, no lights were on, car was also off, so why my battery drained over night?

Another Update:

The error is back but now I am starting to see a pattern from the last time. I noticed that this comes up when the car is left (not even driven) in the rain. I have a feeling there is a leak somewhere then that is messing up some sensors or creating a short of some sort. Any obvious places to look for for leaks?

Thanks

Classic areas to check are the scuttle area under the windscreen - any build up of leaves etc can prevent it draining and water may find a way into the cabin, often onto the blower which is usually directly under the intake. Are the carpets damp in the front footwells? Not sure if this would aflict the electronics in question however.

I know some of the pugs had the BMS above the footwell and a poorly fitted windscreen could also result in water ingress, causing BMS issues and some owners would bag the unit as a precaution.

Does the recirculate flap close and stay closed on these? Might be worth closing that before powering off and see it it still happens to eliminate water ingress into the cabin as a cause. Mind that recirc flap closing won't exactly be watertight...

Also worth checking the various rubber seals under the bonnet and around the doors are in place correctly and not damaged.

R2r said:
You have to check DTC fault what causes this failure. The easiest is to use some simple OBDII tool connected to OBD and read on mobile. I have similar problem in my car, error appears from time to time. This error is caused by Code No. P1A44 Detecting Ground Fault and P1A46 Leak Sensor Detection Circuit in my car, detected by the drive battery ground fault detector module installed in the drive battery, but is related to low isolation resistance in EV system.
I haven't located the component causing this problem yet.

Hi R2r,

Have you had any lucky on this fault? I have the same fault codes a can’t figure out what’s causing it.

Back