Outlander PHEV now able to supply V2H power

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3lmo

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is now also able to supply electrical power to the home in Japan using the SMART V2H (vehicle-to-home) in addition to be able to be charged from a domestic outlet.

To date, the use of a V2H system had only been approved for all-electric vehicles such as the Mitsubishi i-MiEV series. However, it has recently been approved that the Outlander PHEV will be treated as an all-electric as its engine does not run while the vehicle is connected to a V2H system.

The V2H system makes it possible to use the Outlander PHEV as an emergency power source, supplying electricity stored in the vehicle’s drive battery to run domestic appliances in a power outage or a natural disaster. As a result, both current and future owners of the Outlander PHEV will be now able to use a V2H system.

In addition, available as a factory option as in the past, a 1500W AC100V power feeder enables the Outlander PHEV to directly power electrical appliances either at an evacuation site in an emergency or when engaged in outdoor leisure activities. The Outlander PHEV’s 1500W AC100V power feeder will supply enough electrical power to meet normal domestic requirements for a day from a fully charged battery, and up to 10 days power with a full gasoline tank.

The SMART V2H system made by Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, the EVPower Station made by Nichicon Corporation and the Tsubaki eLINK made by Tsubakimoto Chain Co. is available only with vehicles with a CHAdeMO quick charging socket installed.

Source: http://electriccarsreport.com/

Interesting - though I'm not sure I would want to use my expensive vehicle battery to drive my home appliances....

maby said:
Interesting - though I'm not sure I would want to use my expensive vehicle battery to drive my home appliances....

I agree with you under normal circumstances, but in the e end of a prolonged power cut you might change your mind pretty quickly

When I was looking at PHEV specs (before I decided to buy one) I was intrigued to read that the Japanese PHEV has a invertor / power socket that will power domestic appliances. I couldn't find any mention of such a feature on the UK model - not even a 12V socket in the back for a fridge which was disappointing.

Could this V2H system be included in the home charger grant that is available until March?

Don't forget that in Japan their power supply, even in cities, tends to be overhead, unlike UK and the country is subject to earthquakes and typhoons - so this is likely to be a country specific option e.g. US.

Every article I read about this feature only mentions the Japanese version.

Is there anyone who has this feature in their Outlander PHEV who is outside of Japan?

I think it was/is a Japan only option but it's sure one I'd like. Perhaps it wasn't provided because of the additional wear and tear it would provide on the batteries. In Japan, it's use would presumably be just in emergencies but, elsewhere, the batteries might get a hammering as people used it more frequently (camping?).

Very useful for off-griders with solar or wind generators.

Also as a common UPS for an office, instead of having small UPS for every computer.

I know in Japan they have both 110v and 220v home power, depending on which part of the country you live in. This implies that there are Mitsubishi parts available for the Outlander PHEV that would work anywhere in the world, albeit with a prong adapter, assuming we could somehow identify, import, and install those parts.
Titan said:
I think it was/is a Japan only option but it's sure one I'd like. Perhaps it wasn't provided because of the additional wear and tear it would provide on the batteries. In Japan, it's use would presumably be just in emergencies but, elsewhere, the batteries might get a hammering as people used it more frequently (camping?).
I can't imagine what electrical appliance someone would bring camping that would be more of a burden on the batteries than their normal job of propelling a mid size SUV.

ActionableMango said:
I can't imagine what electrical appliance someone would bring camping that would be more of a burden on the batteries than their normal job of propelling a mid size SUV.
I was thinking more of the higher number of discharge/charge cycles the batteries would endure as a result of people using it camping etc. So as well as the prescribed number of cycles for driving , the batteries would then have a high(er) number of additional cycles, thus shortening their useful life.

Titan said:

Maybe the microwave :lol:

I would have liked the power station option in AUS. This would seem be a useful addition for winter, to supply some additional power to my OFF grid house power system on poor solar days, but just adding some more solar panels has allowed my PHEV to be used to make good use of surplus all the year. Keeps the car simpler.

Titan said:
ActionableMango said:
I was thinking more of the higher number of discharge/charge cycles the batteries would endure as a result of people using it camping etc. So as well as the prescribed number of cycles for driving , the batteries would then have a high(er) number of additional cycles, thus shortening their useful life.

I guess they designed it on the assumption of a full charge-discharge cycle most days - if you are parked up for several days camping, running the microwave off it a few times is not going to invalidate that design assumption significantly, is it?

2phevs said:
Could this V2H system be included in the home charger grant that is available until March?

You can't use these in the UK. The regulations on electrical supply require all sorts of extra protection which are onerous so as I understand it, the government has chosen to simply not allow it for the moment.

I would have liked to have had a 13A socket built into the boot though that I think some markets have (or their national equivalent).

We live in Melbourne, Australia.

The lack of the 240V AC 6A socket inside the rear cargo area was one of the main reasons we did not buy our PHEV last year!

Do you know if it will be included (as a standard feature or optional accessory) in the next model? We are waiting for this info before we change from our original 2004 Outlander. Our old car is running so well it is difficult to justify a change over!

It looks like the Japanese and continental Europe are the only areas with this feature. Don't know what the USA will get.

We have solar panels that power our house during the day and feed the extra into the grid. We want to use the car to power some of our house circuits between 6pm and 11pm. This is when we draw electricity from the grid at Peak rates. (Of course, on days when the sun isn't shining we have to use the grid before 6pm.) These separate circuits will have a changeover switch and timer and not be connected to the grid, just the car.

11pm to 7am is Off-peak and this is when we will charge the car battery.

We have estimated this arrangement will save us over $800 a year in electricity charges. This will help justify the change over to the PHEV. We rarely travel over 50km per day and some days we do not use the car. We are hoping to run the car in EV Mode most of the time. Having 12kWh of electricity available and sitting in the garage while we draw on the grid at Peak rates is not good.

What do you think?
;)

Reviving this topic to see if there has been any progress worldwide with V2H bi-directional chargers worldwide. Here in the UK there have been a few trials etc but very few products on the market. Any sensibly priced products elsewhere, e.g. NL? I'm looking mostly for something around 5kW output for backup power during power cuts, as well as being able to take use of time of use tariffs.

V2H/V2G bi-directional chargers have just been approved in Australia. (Currently only applies to Nissan Leaf and Outlander PHEV) The approval have been given to Wallbox Quasar inverter/charger, shipments due in coming weeks.

I'm looking forward to having double my Telsa PW2 capacity sitting in my garage on slow production/high use days and the capacity to charge from the engine if needed for extended blackouts to keep essentials powered up (none in 6 years). My car is home 4 days of the week.

There is also some conversation around Power Provider incentives for V2G connections. I currently subscribe to the AGL Virtual Power Plant agreement where they pay me to access small amounts of my stored Solar power when local grid demand is outside normal ranges. Last VPP access by AGL December last year, 1.2 kWh.

Full article on bi-directional chargers; https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2022-02-14/electric-vehicle-first-ev-chargers-v2g-v2h-to-arrive-australia/100811130

Thanks for the update from down under. I've seen the Quasar over here in the UK too, but it's extraordinarily expensive. More than a PW2.

Back