Are these features we will see on the 2017 model in the UK?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malc163

Seems like North America ads are showing new features we don't yet have here in the UK. Will we see these on the 2017 PHEV?

Blind Spot Warning - https://youtu.be/7VpgAuyO7Ss
Rear Cross Traffic Alert - https://youtu.be/q8Ak09zyt4M
Forward Collision Mitigation with Pedestrian detection - https://youtu.be/fa9JVElkFwg

Seems other potential spec changes are -
New Multimedia with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
EV button to force electric only mode
Electronic Parking brake

Shame as I am expecting my new GX4hs in the next couple of weeks and will miss out on some nice specification upgrades.

On the positive side it seems the run out of the 2016 model is providing some good deals though as the company lease deal we got was fantastic and the car also qualifies me for the free ChargeMaster Home charger install offer. I'm having the charge unit fitted next week.

Differences between MY16- and MY17-brochure (news in bold):
-----------------

Innovative Twin Motor 4WD teams with S-AWC to supply optimal torque and traction to each wheel, now with more responsive acceleration during EV driving.

Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control (TCL) — which now offers enhanced traction on snowy roads —.

Or enter a hybrid mode to travel even greater distances with low emissions and an impressive 1.7 litre/100 km [MY16: 1.8 litere/100 km] combined fuel efficiency.

EV Switch
Press the EV switch to enter the EV Priority Mode and help prevent the engine from starting. It allows you to manually select all-electric driving via Twin Motor 4WD for zero fuel consumption and a quiet ride without engine noise.

ECO Mode Control
Press for more energy-efficient use of the motors, engine and air conditioning [--and 4WD.--]

CHARGE AND SAVE
Press SAVE, then the engine starts to maintain the remaining drive battery level. [--to reduce battery power usage.--]

AC 1500W POWER SUPPLY (PLUG: F TYPE)
One power outlet behind the centre floor console and another in the luggage area on the lower quarter trim panel provide up to 1500W of power from the drive battery, enough to run appliances at a campground or at your home during a power outage.
Note: Some appliances may not be used even if they do not exceed the rated power consumption of 1500W. Please see the user manual for additional information.

ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE WITH BRAKE AUTO HOLD
The parking brake on the floor console is easy to operate via stylish switch. Simply pull the switch up to apply the parking brake or push the switch down to release it. While stopping at a stoplight, Brake Auto Hold keeps the vehicle stationary at even if you release your foot from the brake pedal. Pressing the accelerator releases the brakes.

Exteriour Colour
  • New colour: Cool Silver Metallic (A31)

Instyle models get:
  • Corner sensors
  • Blind spot Warning (BSW): […]

• Rear Crossing Traffic Alert (RCTA): […]

ht13 said:
Differences between MY16- and MY17-brochure

Thanks for posting. I am seeing similar specs filter out for the Australian MY17, however I havn't seen mention of the 1500W AC Powerpoint. We missed out on Chademo on MY14.5 here in Australia (and totally missed out on MY16 PHEVs) so I hope MMA have learned from that as the powerpoint is useful. I wonder if it can be used while the car is moving to run laptops or car fridges? Not that I'll be buying a MY17 unless mine is written off. Tiny incremental changes from the incumbents are leaving them behind when compared to Tesla.

zzcoopej said:
Tiny incremental changes from the incumbents are leaving them behind when compared to Tesla.
Pure electrics and plug-in hybrids are largely addressing different markets. There can't be many drivers for whom a Tesla or a PHEV would be an equally effective choice.

Brake auto-hold has been a feature of the PHEV from the very beginning. Equally Save, nothing new.
Eco mode sounds exactly the same.

ChrisMiller said:
There can't be many drivers for whom a Tesla or a PHEV would be an equally effective choice.

I may have got it wrong, however I believe price is the biggest factor at play in the success of the Outlander PHEV in Netherlands and UK? If that is correct, then owners probably would have bought a Model X instead IF it was the same price as the PHEV. That's just a matter of time and given the current rate of cost reduction, a fully electric SUV at the same price as the PHEV is only at most about 5 years away. Had major car companies been on the same curve as Tesla, we'd be there already. Instead the incumbents are milking the consumer with tiny updates.

I wouldn't. I prefer a car that I can drive past 400 km without extensive planning and considerable waiting times. The fact that the PHEV is EV for my daily commute and a "normal" hybrid for long journeys is essential to me, regardless of price.

jaapv said:
I prefer a car that I can drive past 400 km without extensive planning and considerable waiting times.

Interesting you say that, I thought the charging infrastructure was a lot better over there in Europe than it is here in Australia, sounds like its not so great after all?
I expect within 5 years EV with 1000km range will be normal. That is as far as most people would travel in 1 day, which solves the waiting for a charge issue as well. At least until autonomous EV can drive while the occupants are sleeping.

I'm with jaapv on this but also the Tesla X seems rather limited in the "U" category to be called an SUV, given that the 2nd row of seats doesn't fold flat and the "fastback" coupe rear styling limits the load height. It may be more Sporty than the PHEV but seems less Utility - I bought the Outlander for the EV, hybrid AND carrying capacity!

Pure EVs are great if your daily commute is well within the manufacturer's declared range*. Tesla produce large cars with relatively long ranges because they have very large batteries (60-100kWh) - but how do you recharge them? If you live within a few miles of a Tesla 'supercharger' (i.e. if you live in a major city) that's fine, but if you're doing your own charging from a domestic supply, it's going to take the best part of 24 hours from 'empty'. I suppose you can top it up every day for a few hours, but (as I understand it) that's not ideal for battery condition.

* A couple of neighbours run a Leaf for their daily commute (~50 km each way) and love it, but (of course) they need to own a second car for longer journeys.

zzcoopej said:
jaapv said:
I prefer a car that I can drive past 400 km without extensive planning and considerable waiting times.

Interesting you say that, I thought the charging infrastructure was a lot better over there in Europe than it is here in Australia, sounds like its not so great after all?
I expect within 5 years EV with 1000km range will be normal. That is as far as most people would travel in 1 day, which solves the waiting for a charge issue as well. At least until autonomous EV can drive while the occupants are sleeping.
Only in the Netherlands and Norway and to a certain extent the UK and Belgium. The rest of Europe is still struggling behind.When traveling I only charge (overnight) from domestic points if I can find one. Some hotels will allow charging, but certainly not all.
The Tesla Supercharger network still needs a lot of developing. Charging the car will still cause considerable delays in a journey anyway.

I agree with all the points above, mine is a company car and it must be capable of 500 miles in a day without journey planning other than the destinations being visited. I would certainly never tolerate stopping for 30 minutes every hour or so to charge up a Leaf just because I need to drive to Glasgow or Lands End.

Of the new features mentioned, the 240vAC outlets would be very useful and an updated sound system would be good. I drive a 3+ so do not have the MMCS, and reading all the comments in the forum about what it can and can't do, you know what, I really feel that I have the better deal as my life is simpler and has less distractions when driving.

THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY - different views are equally valid - because of my usage patterns, as well as a more powerful battery, I would have really liked to see a serious increase in the fuel tank capacity. A near 2 tonne brick, running at roughly 35mpg on the motorway all day should have a 70 litre tank. Those who don't need it can put £10 of petrol in every now and then. But for people like me it would mean being able to complete a 500 mile day without having to fill up the night before setting off, before starting the return journey and when I get home as well. Or, as is the case when the week averages 150 miles on 4 out of 5 working days, having to fill up, from empty, every other day.

Back