auxiliary 12 V dead while parking outdoor 2023 PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subuPHEV

Bought my PHEV last June. Did the 6k km oil change everything was ok. Last month did only engine charging rather than plugin charging, the check engine light was on for a couple of weeks could not schedule a dealer visit. Auxiliary 12 V died on the subway station parking lot on a cold snowing New Year's Eve night. Not expected for a brand-new vehicle. Really bad experience, the app also did not send any messages or warning.

If anyone interested in an update the check engine light is appearing every 5 to 8 days I am keeping the battery charged by engine my fuel economy has been worse to above 11liters/100km.
Each time reading code via blue driver is removing the check engine light.
U1E35 and U1E36 codes
Open other to ideas to solve it

Don't have charging in my condo parking management asking 7k to install charger.

You don't need any special charger, you can plug in a normal outlet.

U1E35 and U1E36 mean low voltage on your 12V battery. It's probably going to die very soon. You should replace it.

It's only 6 months old. Dealer tested battery and said battery is ok and I am not driving enough. The mileage is above 10k now. My 2010 camry ran for 4 years with a new battery. The condo parking didn't have access to wall outlet plug.

If you don't have a charging opportunity then a PHEV may not be the best suited vehicle.

However, there is no need to charge the traction battery with the combustion engine. Just let the car decide when to use gasoline and when to run on electricity.

Charging the traction battery by using the 'charge' button will always yield low mpg as this disables all the built in intelligence. This is only needed in special use cases.

Regarding the 12V aux battery, do you run items like dash cam, mobile charger or else? The 12V bat is only 45Ah and can't carry these loads for extended time.

If you don't have a charging opportunity then a PHEV may not be the best suited vehicle.

However, there is no need to charge the traction battery with the combustion engine. Just let the car decide when to use gasoline and when to run on electricity.

Charging the traction battery by using the 'charge' button will always yield low mpg as this disables all the built in intelligence. This is only needed in special use cases.

Regarding the 12V aux battery, do you run items like dash cam, mobile charger or else? The 12V bat is only 45Ah and can't carry these loads for extended time.
No I have stopped even listening to the radio just to avoid draining the 12V battery earlier this month. Still needed a boost last Saturday because parked outside friends house aroud -9C. Clearly that did not work. Now unplugging the CAA device while not driving. Hoping it will fix the issue.

I think PHEV is the only correct type to buy it doesn't depend on whether one has access to plug or not.
My Fuel economy is still better than my old camry even with charge mode running for larger time.
Best for city driving without local emissions and no issues for long road trips. It also doesn't have carbon foot print of a full EV. Better results. To be honest I waited for 1 year for the rav4 prime but had to make decision as gas costs were ramping up early last year.

No I have stopped even listening to the radio just to avoid draining the 12V battery earlier this month. Still needed a boost last Saturday because parked outside friends house aroud -9C. Clearly that did not work. Now unplugging the CAA device while not driving. Hoping it will fix the issue.
I've had to look that up, and can see that indeed, it could be the cause of your problem.
(It's a monitoring device that plugs into the ODBII socket under the dashboard)

It would be best if a device like that only consumed power while the ignition was turned on.

But, since it is in the ODBII port, it could be consuming power from the tiny battery 24 hours per day.

If that is the case, it's probably not a good idea for cars like ours.

(Just want to repeat the advice I received, that it was not appropriate to run a dash cam directly off the 12V battery in the PHEV because the PHEV 12V battery is too small and would be depleted. I have a separate battery installed that only charges when the car is turned on.)

If it is the CAA device that is the culprit, this is worth finding out for all the other owners.

Back