Buying a 2014 Outlander PHEV in 2023?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procro

Hello everyone,
I stumbled across this forum in my research about the car, I found it very helpful. :D

So the story is, a good friend of mine bought a Tesla and is selling his 2014 Outlander PHEV (2.0L), max spec.

-I mostly do just 20-30km a day, and the ocassional 300km trip & can charge at home
-It has really good service history (always at certified Mitsubishi dealer)
-98% charged at home socket
-220 000 km (136 000 miles) - 120 000km of that is highway driving across Europe using the ICE engine
-Battery health is good, still does around 40km in full EV mode
-No rust or corrosion
-Also, installed a new gasket around the battery and new ground wires

Does is make sense to buy this car in 2023? What can I expect in maintenance expenses 2-3 years down the line?
Should the high mileage scare me in any way?
Is the battery degradation down the line (2-3 years) a problem?

I appreaciate your thoughts, thank you. :ugeek:

Did you see those 40 kms? I would be very skeptical about the car being able to do so after so many years and so much driving. 30 kms would be more realistic in my mind.

Now, whether it makes sense is about what do you want to do with it, can you charge it at home, and how much are you going to drive between charging.

If your daily commute can be done all electric and you do trips longer than say 30 kms rarely it would make a lot of sense.

nrayanov said:
Did you see those 40 kms? I would be very skeptical about the car being able to do so after so many years and so much driving. 30 kms would be more realistic in my mind.

Now, whether it makes sense is about what do you want to do with it, can you charge it at home, and how much are you going to drive between charging.

If your daily commute can be done all electric and you do trips longer than say 30 kms rarely it would make a lot of sense.

I did, I drove it. But that was early 2020.
My daily driving is around 25km, I think the range would fit me well.

Just how reliable is the battery with this age +2-3 years from now? My main concern..

mellobob said:
Depends on the price :) Don't worry about using some gasoline ... if you don't the car's computer will force you to do so in any event.

The price is 9000 EUR (9500 USD), I think I'm getting a good deal? :shock:

No way!
Battery range on 220k vehicle to be 40km is highly doubtful or BMU reset has been done which will further degrade the battery.

Otherwise, very reliable vehicle and even the battery range is lower it's still a good buy depending on the price of course.

procro said:
mellobob said:
Depends on the price :) Don't worry about using some gasoline ... if you don't the car's computer will force you to do so in any event.

The price is 9000 EUR (9500 USD), I think I'm getting a good deal? :shock:

9000 EUR is a fair price for a 10 year-old-car. It's not a very good deal, but it ain't a bad deal.

Check the electric heater works! Note: 3H doesn’t have this feature. If your unsure look under the drivers side, there should be 2 pipes beside the exhaust pipe.

No way!
Battery range on 220k vehicle to be 40km is highly doubtful or BMU reset has been done which will further degrade the battery.

Otherwise, very reliable vehicle and even the battery range is lower it's still a good buy depending on the price of course.
Can I clarify that the thinking is it is better to allow the range to reduce naturally with time rather than using up the battery buffer to boost range at the expense of accelerated ageing ( and faster range reduction in future ).?

But he said only 16k was EV - so possible.

Back