Clutch engaged at 20km/h

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jozsef

2 days ago I was descending a steep curvy road, it took about 2 minutes at ~20 km/h, in B5 and charge mode, MY13.

Reaching level road I stepped on the accelerator, but the acceleration felt wierd and laggy, there wasn't any of the usual revving from the engine and the car started vibrating like if I had shift into 4th instead of 2nd.

I depressed the pedal then pressed again but nothing changed.

Had a sudden idea, switched charge mode off then on again, finally the vibration stopped and the engine revved up. No chimes or warning lights, the car works normally since then.

I did a few google search but have found nothing about clutch failures.

Did this happened to anyone else?

(sorry for bad english)

As there is no clutch in the car that won't be the issue but if you are running the ICE to charge the battery and then are also producing energy from Regen then you probably overloaded the system with too much charge. So this was some sort of system failsafe to protect the car. Once you turned off CHARGE then it reset. :idea:

So don't do it again - anyway, just a waste of money running the ICE when coasting downhill!

I'm not sure that this is 100% correct.

The complicated gearbox assembly on the side of the engine contains a clutch mechanism.

https://www.gknautomotive.com/en/systems-and-solutions/electric/multi-mode-dedicated-hybrid-transmission2/

If that clutch became 'stuck' in the deployed position, I could imagine symptoms like those posted...

(Edited to add):

Note that there is a really nice animation on that page, that shows all the different modes and when the hydraulic clutch is engaged.

In hindsight, it has also occurred to me that the clutch is likely controlled by software...

But isn't that only for engaging/disengaging the direct drive at higher speeds - the OP stated -20mph.

What is odd is the use of the ICE (Charge mode) and B5 when coasting downhill - must have pushed the Regen off the scale!

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it sounds like the car's software had deployed the clutch and left it in that position.

i.e. It sounds like an error. Not usual circumstances. We have no way of guessing when it may have occurred and how long it was in that state.

I suggest that you report this to Mitsubishi.

I've already posted a link to the manufacturer who created the 'gearbox' that switches operation between mechanical and electric drive for the front wheels, it may also be worth contacting them with the symptoms, to see if it is anything that they can understand.

My point was that it might be the odd combination of Charge & B5, especially on a very early model, in unusual circumstances, that has caused this. A one-off like this, hardly seems worth the bother of investigation. :idea:

Hi Jozsef
Did you have a fault code? Yes have a clutch but it is starting to work at 65km/h. did you sort out anything?
I found some information here
https://carhoodsecrects.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-transaxle-gearbox-clutch/
hoop helps to you with some questions.

Back