Clutch

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catalin

Hello dear owners of Outlander.
Two years ago I bought an Outlander in Denmark. Everything was ok until couple of days ago when I had a bad experience. I was driving on highway in Germany,when the car started to slow down ,loosing power . I got the turtle message on the screen.
I had to call road assistance to take me to a Mitsubishi service.
Today I got the bad news... it's a part, some kind of clutch ...and it very expensive.
The car is still in those 5 years of guarantee but the problem is that I am a little over 100000 km.
Do you think I have any chance to convince Mitsubishi to cover at least a part of the reparation?
Thank you.

There is a hydraulic clutch inside the 'multimode e-drive' (the device that splits power back and forth between the engine, the generator, and the front wheels).

This video shows how the mechanisms work.

I can't really comment on the manufacturer's willingness to replace the clutch because it could depend on circumstances.

For example have services been performed on time?

Have the right fluids been used?

Is the clutch showing signs of external damage due to tampering?

Is the car showing signs of abuse?

My recommendation would be to book it in for the repair, ask for the replacement to be done under warranty, and hope for the best.

Well something is fishy here... if the clutch is failing the vehicle won't be able to go in parallel mode.
Series mode of engine work won't be affected at all.

Just don't know how the whole system will react on clutch malfunctioning if it is malfunctioning. The new generation can be forced in series by pressing tarmac or power buttons but the old one...!

Hej guys. Thank you for your reply. I bought the car from a Mitsubishi dealer. The car had already 80000 km. I can see in the service book that all the anual services were made in a Mitsubishi service. Last year I did it as well.
The service where the car is now will deasseembly the car on Friday. Then I will know more.
Meanwhile I sent an email to Mitsubishi Denmark and they say that because I have 103000 km they can't help me. I will insist.
Have a great day.

I don't know anything about consumer laws in Denmark but in the UK I would ask the garage to write a statement that states the failed item and the cause of its failure. Then include this in a written communication to the head of Mitsubishi in Denmark and state that:
The part that failed is a major component that is expected to last the life of the vehicle, beyond the 100,000km standard warranty. The failed component is not influenced by how the car is driven as it is controlled by the car and not the driver. The car has been maintained in accordance with Mitsubishi recommendations and services were performed by Mitsubishi dealers so it therefore was not of "merchantable quality" when first supplied. Then request that Mitsubishi correct this problem and pay for the parts and labour.

They might then offer to at least pay for some of it. Again, in the UK if they did not respond positively I would say that:
This is not acceptable and that I will refer them to the Ombudsman unless they change their approach.

This approach does seem over the top but you have nothing to lose except for some time in writing to them. I wish you good luck with your car.

I don't know anything about consumer laws in Denmark but in the UK I would ask the garage to write a statement that states the failed item and the cause of its failure. Then include this in a written communication to the head of Mitsubishi in Denmark and state that:
The part that failed is a major component that is expected to last the life of the vehicle, beyond the 100,000km standard warranty. The failed component is not influenced by how the car is driven as it is controlled by the car and not the driver. The car has been maintained in accordance with Mitsubishi recommendations and services were performed by Mitsubishi dealers so it therefore was not of "merchantable quality" when first supplied. Then request that Mitsubishi correct this problem and pay for the parts and labour.

They might then offer to at least pay for some of it. Again, in the UK if they did not respond positively I would say that:
This is not acceptable and that I will refer them to the Ombudsman unless they change their approach.

This approach does seem over the top but you have nothing to lose except for some time in writing to them. I wish you good luck with your car.
Thank you for your advice. I think that this is the right approach. Have a nice evening!

Today I've received a message from Mitsubishi that my existing guarantee will be upgraded from 5 years / 100.000 km's to 8 years / 160.000 km's.
Isn't the same applicable in Denmark?

Hi. Where are you living? Looks like a good place to move to.
Unfortunately in Denmark we aren't so lucky.
By the way...after a week of investigation ,the german workshop found the problem and the bill is somewhere around 13000€ .
Not a good day for me.

By the way...after a week of investigation ,the german workshop found the problem and the bill is somewhere around 13000€ .
Not a good day for me.
Is the car worth that much?

Martin

Not a good day for me.
In the Netherlands.... Velkommen!

13000€ ?? That's unfortunate to say the least...
No news from Mitsubishi yet?

Ufff...i got an answer from them last week...they can't help me in any way. But I will insist...again and again...if necessary,I will write to Mitsubishi Japan :)))

Back