Compulsory traction battery servicing?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phevnz21

Hi; Brian from 'Godzone' (New Zealand) here. My 2019 model still goes well, but with less than 20,000 kilometers so it should; still very happy with it. Not so, necessarily, with Mitsubishi NZ. Wondering if anyone elsewhere has had similar experience?

On its 2-year service the dealer told me that next time I'd have to pay some hundreds of dollars for the battery to be taken out and serviced - with no real explanation. So, I've not been to see him since; can change the oil myself, thanks very much.

Is this a rort to test each cell, identify any becoming defective and replace at owner's expense, so ensuring Mitsubishi will be unlikely to need to replace anything later under guarantee? Or maybe to check for any defective assembly like loosening terminal connections etc, removing maker's liability for faulty battery assembly?

There is nothing in the warranty conditions or service schedule mentioning this as an owner's responsibility or part of routine service requirements, so I am suspicious of this after-sale locally-imposed condition and expense. Is this service required in other countries? Any comments or advice very welcome.

I have a 2016 model in Norway and never had the battery serviced. The first time it was taken out is when the fuse was blown last year.

It was never a requirement on our old 2014 model. Not really a lot of "servicing" they can do other than a rebuild.

Martin

I have had two Outlander Phev's and never heard about having the battery taken out and serviced. !!
Don't all pre 2020 Phev's have a traction battery warranty of 8 Year/100,000 miles.

Mr. P

Can you ask them for the Mitsubishi service procedure? Never heard of this in Oz, car always serviced by dealers to schedule, and Mitsubishi replaced the drive battery free of charge (following 2 emails and the dealer determining it had degraded..)
I think they do check the cooling system regularly.

Can you ask them for the Mitsubishi service procedure? Never heard of this in Oz, car always serviced by dealers to schedule, and Mitsubishi replaced the drive battery free of charge (following 2 emails and the dealer determining it had degraded..)
I think they do check the cooling system regularly.
Thank you, and to all others who replied. Are there any other NZ owners who have had this dealer experience, I wonder? The local dealer seemed quite genuine when he told me, 3 years ago, that this procedure was required, but I smelt a rat somewhere as it was not mentioned in the Mitsubishi service schedule. I will ask for further clarification when in the future I need dealer service. It's certainly reassuring to hear that others have not needed this extra and difficult work.

I have had two Outlander Phev's and never heard about having the battery taken out and serviced. !!
Don't all pre 2020 Phev's have a traction battery warranty of 8 Year/100,000 miles

Don't all pre 2020 Phev's have a traction battery warranty of 8 Year/100,000 miles.

Mr. P
Yes but only for battery capacity issues there is no service scheduled for batteries

Actually my dealer implied that this expensive service operation was needed to maintain the battery warranty, and he already had one other PHEV in the shop having the battery service performed. I rather suspected that Mitsubishi were 'trying it on' in NZ, as a test market, before requiring it elsewhere, to minimise their battery warranty costs. Glad to hear that it's not since been required in other countries. Of course this could be just an innocent misunderstanding by the local dealer ... It would be good to hear of the experience of other New Zealand Outlander PHEV owners.

Back