Corroded rear axle earth strap

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlescrote

Anyone else suffered from this?

The earth strap between body and rear axle that is in place in case of a fault with the rear motor electrics has gone green, brittle and crumbly and has fractured. My recently purchased 2016 Outlander is out of mileage warranty by <5000 miles which is very disappointing, as this clearly did not happen in a short time since the warranty expired, so I would have expected it to have been checked and found during one of the previous dealer services/anti-corrosion warranty underbody inspections, but it's not even a checklist item!

I'm hoping to have it replaced by a dealer as a goodwill gesture, otherwise will purchase a suitably rated generic alternative and fit it myself rather than pay ridiculous main dealer parts and warranty costs, but I don't think that I should have to for such a young vehicle on a safety related component.

Any similar experiences? I'm new to the forum btw, so would add a photo but haven't figured it out yet. I guess I need to upload it to a sharing site and then paste the url between the

I'm having the earth strap replaced next week under a goodwill agreement with a small charge (£7) so I'm happy with that to save me crawling underneath it again, but I'm still miffed that it is not a service item as part of the underbody inspection routine to check them as they are a safety item.

Back