Extra key fob

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone - I'm new here, just purchased a new 2023 SEL Premium.
We have 3 people using the car, so I wanted a third key fob.

Dealer quoted $600 (ouch!), so I went on ebay and ordered a blank key fob with the same FCC and chip IDs, and the exact same look for less than $40 including tax and shipping.

Called various automotive locksmiths in the area, most said "No Problem" at first, quoting between $120 and $175 for programming the key. But then each of them called back after a while with "sorry, can't do - Mitsubishi is too exotic in the US, we don't have the software".

So, back to the dealer, and to my total surprise the service guy agreed to try programming it. He gave it a 50% chance. When I asked for the cost, he said $95. Then the sales manager came by and asked me where I got that key from and for how much. When I told him, he went with me to their parts counter and asked how much Mitsubishi charges them for a replacement fob, and was told $350 (their cost - which sounds about right given $600 retail including some profit and an hour or so for programming).
So, the sales manager said I can have it done for free because he was curious himself.

Low and behold, it worked, and I now have 3 key fobs! Even if I would include the $95 programming fee I consider still a bargain, let alone for less than $40!
Note that did NOT include cutting the emergency key (don't need that).

Here is the link to the blank keyfob:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/235115348910
Greetings from Seattle
Werner

Back