j1772 uk domestic charge lead - where can I get a spare?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheselectric

Hi,
I will be using the standard charge lead to charge from home as can do this overnight and also charge from work. I don't have off road parking you see so can't go for a charging station. I was planning to have the lead set up in a fixed way through a small hole in the wall of the house to the car just outside. But ... I'd need a spare 3pin cable to then have when away from home, using fast charge on motorways for those rare longer journeys. ... Anyway, that's the background, my question is i cannot find a spare 3pin cable for much less than 400£ ... It's sending me a bit potty. I wonder if I'm missing something, why are they so expensive, are there cheaper options? For example, could I just but the plug (about50£) and ask an electrician to fit a cable? Any thoughts very welcome please. Car on order ... Hope it will come within a month and trying to plan ahead. TA.

Hi, and welcome.

Not quite sure what you're wanting here. Can you be more specific? Do you want a charging cable with control box? And how are you going to charge at home with a hole through the wall? It'd have to be big enough to take either the 13 amp plug, leaving the control box outside, or the car connector. Or am I not understanding the situation?

sheselectric said:
Hi,
I will be using the standard charge lead to charge from home as can do this overnight and also charge from work. I don't have off road parking you see so can't go for a charging station. I was planning to have the lead set up in a fixed way through a small hole in the wall of the house to the car just outside. But ... I'd need a spare 3pin cable to then have when away from home, using fast charge on motorways for those rare longer journeys. ... Anyway, that's the background, my question is i cannot find a spare 3pin cable for much less than 400£ ... It's sending me a bit potty. I wonder if I'm missing something, why are they so expensive, are there cheaper options? For example, could I just but the plug (about50£) and ask an electrician to fit a cable? Any thoughts very welcome please. Car on order ... Hope it will come within a month and trying to plan ahead. TA.
Hi
Not sure why the standard EVSE cable is so expensive! But could you just rig up an extension cable at home (with a decent waterproof socket) so you can plug in with the supplied cable and take it with you when you're out and about? You would probably need to be able to lock it at the car end but this should be possible.
Just for info, at motorway services (and IKEAs) you don't need a cable as these 'rapid' chargers have their own 'tethered' lead.
Most public charging posts (if you plan to use them), i.e. other than at motorway services and IKEAs, need a different cable ('type 2 to type 1') which is cheaper (c£165). If that helps!

Hi Both,
Thank you for the replies and sorry for delay. The current car just failed mot yesterday, oh, the joy of a new car in a few weeks time. ...

I think i could have been more brief in my question, which I think is ... I will only by using the cable supplied with the car to car it from home, does anyone know where I can get a spare same cable from?

A slightly longer re wording is ... The Cables I've seen on a few websites with a 3pin end for domestic charging are really expensive, I wondered if anyone knew where to get a cheap one, or if not, as an alternative whether I just buy a plug to fit the non rapid charge socket on the car (I think these are about £50), and then get an electrician to wire it up with a 3pin plug at the end ... If this will work.??

Thanks in advance for any further thoughts or ideas,
Best wishes

In one word -NO.
the charge cable thats supplied with te car has a control box that the cars charger communicates with to check various parameters before it switches on the power to the car.
I.e you can't just have a cable with a 13a plug on one end and the car plug on the other - the car will not charge...

As previous poster said just get a 13a outdoor (weather proof) wall socket fitted and use the supplied lead. If you are concerned about people pluging into this and using you electricity have it run from a spare breaker inside our house so you can control when it's on.

Ok, thanks, I think I've got it now.
But out of interest, does anyone know where to get a reasonably priced second 3pin cable from?

As above, it's not just a cable but a box and stuff. The cheapest ones I have seen, while looking are still north of £300. I assume the regulations stopped the box having a "kettle lead" type input so that you could use different cables to the wall socket - UK/EU etc. as they are all hardwired.

Back