just ordered.... probably another real world mpg question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewigan

Just ordered.... (through work so can cancel)

Quick questions on mpg .... My daily commute is between 32 - 40 miles depending on route.

From reading reviews seems to suggest I should see actual mpg of 55 to 80 depending on my driving style and conditions.... Any owners give me an real life experiance of what I should see. I know mate days the petrol motor will be involved even if for a small part.

I currently have a honda insight so have some understanding of how to achieve higher returns from driving.

Gonna try and get work till install charging point so ev mode can be used in full.

Thank you in advance

Hi Dave, is that each way, or round trip? And will you be able to recharge during the day?

If it's round trip and assuming you can recharge in between then you should be able to do it virtually all on EV hence very high 'mpg'. If each way it will depend on what your route is like (flat or hilly, fast or slow roads etc.) and if you need to use accessories such as aircon, heating etc. I'm finding a 'real world' EV range of nearer 25 miles than 32 but you should still see a good proportion of your route on pure EV.

Funnily enough I'm much less focused on 'mpg' as such now, having lived with it for a few weeks, than I was before I bought it. I now tend to think more in terms of total fuel cost as the electricity is cheaper but by no means free (for most of us at least). I reckon it's costing me around 7.5p/mile total fuel costs, compared with around 25p/mile for my old Disco. :cool:

Depending how the conversation goes with your employer - you don't need them to install an expensive charger - if you are there for 4+ hours access to a standard plug socket will do. Clearly a proper EV charger is best but given the time likely spent parked up at the office a 3pin could do just fine for a "free refill"! (I'm saying this only from research, still got 4 more days of agonizing wait before i get my actual vehicle and can say that with real confidence - forum colleagues who know - do correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks both for the replies.....

It's 32 round trip with most of this 14 miles (each way so 28 in total) on a motorway with little incline*

No option at present at work to charge but, the car is through the work scheme and they are promoting electric vehicles and installed points at one of the other head offices. So there is hope and it will be canvassing them shortly....

True on the costs my insight hybrid I think averages about 13p per mile at present so I'm expecting some improvement.

My lifetime average in the current car though is brought down by my short journeys gym, shopping etc so this will be perfect.

It's ordered but got to wait until my current lease ends so got a long wait, at least gives me something to look forward to once the summer hol is over!

Looking forward to see the user reviews as more and more start to get delivered and in the hands of drivers in the next few months.......

* must be slightly down hill going as current car achieved 60mpg going and 50 to 55 on way home..... Or maybe I drive faster when trying to get home. :D

Back