On Board Navigation Map: TomTom Update

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpetro

I have a 2023 Outlander PHEV purchased this past October. I updated the navigation system map in Oct 2023. The TomTom version shown in the Mitsubishi software was last updated in 12-2022. Even with that update, the roadway system in my area is way outdated. Still calling some arterial roads build 3 years ago as gravel or nonexistent in my area here in Iowa. While I have been using AndroidAuto, it would be nice to have a half way decent updated onboard map.

Does anyone know how frequently TomTom updates there US map? Is there an option available to by an update directly from TomTom for the Mitsubishi?

Jim Petro
Waukee, Iowa USA

I have a 2023 Outlander PHEV purchased this past October. I updated the navigation system map in Oct 2023.
Hi, Jim. My Outlandish arrived in November, and I too updated the maps (for Australia).

While I have been using AndroidAuto, it would be nice to have a half way decent updated onboard map.
And possibly essential if you drive (as I do) in areas where there's little or no phone reception.
Does anyone know how frequently TomTom updates there US map? Is there an option available to by an update directly from TomTom for the Mitsubishi?
And that would be a really good question because the performance of the nav system in my car is so bad that calling it "woeful" would be talking it up. It does not find street addresses. It can't find my house - I live at 2, and it thinks I'm at 2A - knows nothing about 2. Or another house which is 20, but the maps insist that's unit 2/20... and so on. I'd say 95% of addresses I put in can not be found.

Am I the only person with this problem?

My experience of satnav's is the core maps can be several years behind. No surprise since they buy the map data in then have to convert to their app to use. Some tho now have the ability to accept community updates to fill in the gaps where there's new road/developments. I thought TomTom did that now also tho haven't checked.

I'm using TomTom Go since it'll work with android auto, but tbh I prefer CoPilot but that doesn't so I'm stuck with TT-Go which has made some dubious routing decisions last couple trips.

Glad it was just not me. I know Iowa is a small state in the US and probably last one to get any update focus. But having data of new road infrastructure improvements or additions that seems to be 3 years of date, I think is ridiculous particularly in the states biggest metro area.

Does anyone have an idea on who or how to reach out to at Mitsubishi to determine their nav system data update schedule?

Glad it was just not me. I know Iowa is a small state in the US and probably last one to get any update focus. But having data of new road infrastructure improvements or additions that seems to be 3 years of date, I think is ridiculous particularly in the states biggest metro area.

Does anyone have an idea on who or how to reach out to at Mitsubishi to determine their nav system data update schedule?
In my case the missing/wrong data would be over 40 years old. I think that's enough time for anyone to get it right.

If you live in an area with bad reception for the Google maps in Android Auto, you can download a map of the area and navigate offline (obviously no traffic/ alerts and also no lane guidance). The downside is that you can't download the map for a complete route, so when you really need the offline map because there is no signal you can't download it unless you turn around and go to a place that has a connection. You would need to download your destination region upfront if you know (or suspect) about connection problems.

Another alternative is to use HERE maps (search for "here wego" in the App store), which can also be used offline and require a lot less storage than Google maps (I think Google includes all the street view photos). You can download individual states, which require between 37MB (Hawaii) and 937MB (Texas), or all of the US, which requires 9521MB. Canada neeeds 1946MB. The maps can also be stored on a memory card if your phone has a slot.
The downside is you need to use your phone screen, there is no "HERE Auto" equivalent to Android Auto.

I've tried a few android mapping solutions for similar reasons. My current favourite is OsmAnd+. It works with Android auto and you download maps which are based on OpenStreetMaps.
Advantages: Maps are pretty up to date, You don't need to use a Data connection.
On the minus side, OsmAnd+ isn't a free application ,although there are sometimes special offers and I think it's worth the price. or try OsmAnd (without the plus) which is free but limited map downloads and I'm not sure if it works with android auto.

Concerning CoPilot, it's probably possible go get copilot to show on the car's display by installing AA Mirror (Android Auto Mirror) which allows you to mirror any Android application on the car screen.

https://mitsubishi.sda.navshop.com/#/downloadsIn the UK I use this link to get access to the latest map data - updated a couple of times a year. Download then load onto an empty USB thumb drive-Format exFAT NOT Fat32. Stick into the USB slot in ACC mode. Takes 20-30 mins to upload

Back