Poor Battery range? Worth checking!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M11k

Hi, I just wanted to share this in case it helps anyone.

My battery range halved, turned out I was dragging my back wheels. The rear brake was stuck slightly on.

Easy test, after a steady drive with a non full battery, ideally using mostly all regeneration breaking, stop and see if the reader brakes are warm. If the rears are warm and fronts cold odds are the handbrake isn't coming right off.

I mention this as mine did it both sides, basically the springs that release the brakes go weak and can't pull the lever fully off leaving them slightly on.I can't believe I've had the same issue both sides and no one else had it, but couldn't see anything on the net.
Easy to see with your eyes as well. If you release the handbrake and look under the rear, you'll see where the handbrake cable reaches a short leaver. There's an obvious point where two flat pieces of metal should touch when released.

Don't just assume because the car rolls in B0 they're free, remember these cars weigh nearly 2 tonnes

Hope this helps someone

** Update **

In case this is of use to anyone I have now taken it to a Mitsubishi dealer. They initially said they probably just want cleaning which wouldn't be covered by warranty!

They called me after checking them to say they're fitting two new callipers! - under warranty!

So there has to be an issue with them, but to have worn out the callipers in just over two years from new on a car with regeneration breaking! Strange.

M11k said:
** Update **

In case this is of use to anyone I have now taken it to a Mitsubishi dealer. They initially said they probably just want cleaning which wouldn't be covered by warranty!

They called me after checking them to say they're fitting two new callipers! - under warranty!

So there has to be an issue with them, but to have worn out the callipers in just over two years from new on a car with regeneration breaking! Strange.
Who says they are worn out?

They worked fine, now they don't, both failed I'd say they were worn out. :| I was told they are not aware of any issues with them before on outlanders.

M11k said:
They worked fine, now they don't, both failed I'd say they were worn out. :| I was told they are not aware of any issues with them before on outlanders.

The pistons in the calipers could be sticking.... they don't normally get much use in this car with regenerative breaking. But would expect this to be very common if both sides needed replacing. Sounds a bit suspect...

Could be, I agree they dont get as much use as a normal car, but over 47'000 miles they've been used. And the springs on the outside don't pull back enough to pull the lever back as though they have been stretched! To the point that when taken off its obvious they are now too long. My drive is on an incline so I do have to pull them on tight. I'll ask when I collect it because I don't want a bill every 2 years!

M11k said:
Might be a language thing, but to me "failing" does not necessarily mean "worn out". Obviously, the pistons failed. But there are many ways they can fail. Think about a tire: they also have many ways they can fail. Being worn out is just one of them.

M11k said:
... because I don't want a bill every 2 years!
Uh? I thought they were replaced under warranty? Did you still get a bill?

Wow that's very picky on language, I said they failed that's true they don't work,

and I said 'id say they were worn out" and explained I believe it's because the springs are worn ie stretched/weakened, probably because of the incline I park on. Of course there are many reasons for them to fail, sticking pistons could be one, but is not in this case. If you push the lever back they release, this is the springs job. The pistons are free, I know because if you push the handbrake leaver back then drive and don't use the handbrake they never stick on until the handbrake is next applied. If the pistons were sticking the foot brake applies far more force they would stick then.

No I'm not getting a bill this time what I want to know is how to prevent them weakening and failing again in two years time when the warranty is up. It's only taken two years from new to develope this issue.

I hope this explains and helps, do you have a similar concern?

M11k said:
Wow that's very picky on language, ...
You raised a concern that something was "warn out in just over two years". I too would be concerned when something was worn out in just over two years. I would be less concerned with something "failing otherwise" in just over two years. Especially if it was fixed under warranty.

So, to me the difference would matter.

OK.

Well I hope this is helpful to someone, I can only write what I know. As far as I can tell from Mitsubishi assistance guy and the dealer, the springs wore out, they dont sell them individually hence are replacing the callipers as units. If they tell me otherwise I'll report back.

M11k said:
OK.

Well I hope this is helpful to someone, I can only write what I know. As far as I can tell from Mitsubishi assistance guy and the dealer, the springs wore out, they dont sell them individually hence are replacing the callipers as units. If they tell me otherwise I'll report back.
Well, that answers my question ;) I would be worried ....

Back