Radio Turns On By Itself - 2024 LE

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclarkson

Recently upgraded from a 2020 PHEV to a 2024 PHEV.
During an afternoon commute, the radio turned itself on four or five times over the course of about 40 minutes. It didn't matter if the source was set to FM or Sirius. I turned off the destination on the map, thinking it might have something to do with muting the voice announcements of directions, but even when on the main menu (and not the map) it occurred. I ended up switching the source to Bluetooth- which did not have anything connected to it at the time- so now, even if it is still "switching on", it's silent.

Any idea what's causing this? Is there a way to disable it?

Same issue, '23 PHEV AWD SE, bought used 2 mos ago. Interruption is getting more frequent and starting to cut off phone calls. Any solutions out there?

That is a strange one. My radio is on pretty much all the time. I'll turn it off with
the left knob on the screen and see what happens.

IMHO, and very unfortunately, I think the whole entertainment system is a dog's breakfast and crap. It's very poorly thought out, and has some significant problems, like: it seems not possible to tune the radio to a station that isn't where you are. You can seek, but if the station isn't there, too bad. Can't manually tune. Does the US 23/24 have that same feature?

I have three pages of entertainment/nav/electronics system faults that I think will never be rectified - although I have not had a problem with the radio turning itself on. 2023 PHEV Exceed Tourer in Australia.

During an afternoon commute, the radio turned itself on four or five times over the course of about 40 minutes. It didn't matter if the source was set to FM or Sirius. I turned off the destination on the map, thinking it might have something to do with muting the voice announcements of directions, but even when on the main menu (and not the map) it occurred. I ended up switching the source to Bluetooth- which did not have anything connected to it at the time- so now, even if it is still "switching on", it's silent.

I had the same issue with my 2021 outlander. It started with randomly switching on and off, then I couldn’t use the Bluetooth connection to my phone, then it randomly phoned people on my contacts list on my phone, then it went dead completely. I took it to the dealer and they told me the whole dashboard had to come out to investigate and it would take 2 days. I then phoned Mitsubishi to ask them for their comments. They said it was a recurring issue and if I took it back to the dealer they would assess it and report back to Mitsubishi quoting the serial number.
Mitsubishi then contacted me to confirm that it would be replaced under warranty at no cost to me. They replaced the unit a few months later when one had arrived. I’m guessing it took so long because so many replacement units were required?
Anyway, they replaced it in a couple of hours, so I don’t know where the original 2 day estimate came from??

I think some traffic report alert systems are designed to turn on the radio - I have it when driving in underwater tunnels in London in recent years and mine is a 2014 model. It may also be Civil Defence message systems being tested as they do with mobile 'phones.

Having said this radio signals are strange - when I was young we had a pre-war valve radio that could pick up broadcasts even when turned off and unplugged! 🤣

IMHO, and very unfortunately, I think the whole entertainment system is a dog's breakfast and crap. It's very poorly thought out, and has some significant problems, like: it seems not possible to tune the radio to a station that isn't where you are. You can seek, but if the station isn't there, too bad. Can't manually tune. Does the US 23/24 have that same feature?

I have three pages of entertainment/nav/electronics system faults that I think will never be rectified - although I have not had a problem with the radio turning itself on. 2023 PHEV Exceed Tourer in Australia.
I had my 2023 radio turn on by itself when my volume control on the steering wheel was failing. The dealer had to replace it.

Back