Tow bars

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkwilly

Hi All Newbie here from the Wirral
Gx3h Pearl White arriving 30th Oct 6 days fingers crossed :)
any ideas on a good Tow bar price with 13pin detachable and a dedicated harness
also good quality Mats ???
btw great forum
Many Thanks
John

Hi John, congrats on your purchase - I've just taken delivery of my Atlantic Grey 3h this afternoon. I'v also investigated towbars as I thought Mitsubishi quote of £495 plus fitting a bit steep. A local fitter has quoted me £425 inclusive of VAT and fitting for a Witter detachable with 7 pin electrics. I guess the 13 pin would add a bit more. Standard Mitsubishi matts seem pretty reasonable for £18
Dave

I used these guys for my GX4h in August:

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/tow-bars-for-mitsubishi/mitsubishi-outlander-towbars/mitsubishi-outlander-2012-on-towbars.html

You buy the towbar, electrics and fittings from PF Jones over the phone or internet and they arrange a local mobile fitter to come to your home / office and fit.

Great service, fitter actually rang to see if he could fit it a couple of days earlier than had been arranged as he was in the area. Did a great job in a couple of hours.

HTH

Jon

Are they really too difficult to fit yourself? I was under the impression that the mounting points are already there and it is just a question of bolting it in place.

maby said:
Are they really too difficult to fit yourself? I was under the impression that the mounting points are already there and it is just a question of bolting it in place.
Fitting the tow bar itself is quite straight-forward ( about 2 hours).
Fitting the wire harness is more tricky (expect 3/4 hours).

FLYER34 said:
maby said:
Fitting the tow bar itself is quite straight-forward ( about 2 hours).
Fitting the wire harness is more tricky (expect 3/4 hours).

You surprise me - I would have assumed that there was a plug just waiting to be connected to the trailer socket somewhere.

I had intended to fit the whole thing myself as, like you say, the mounting points are there already and I've done it with both my previous cars.

The bespoke wiring kit still required some cutting into the harness though, and drilling holes to allow wiring to enter the car, then adding a new harness under the bonnet so I dipped out and paid the £160 fitting so that the job was done right. I didn't want to end up with Mitsubishi telling me that the warranty was invalid due to my ham fistedness and any subsequent electrical problems!

Cuzza said:
I had intended to fit the whole thing myself as, like you say, the mounting points are there already and I've done it with both my previous cars.

The bespoke wiring kit still required some cutting into the harness though, and drilling holes to allow wiring to enter the car, then adding a new harness under the bonnet so I dipped out and paid the £160 fitting so that the job was done right. I didn't want to end up with Mitsubishi telling me that the warranty was invalid due to my ham fistedness and any subsequent electrical problems!

That is disappointing - the connector for the trailer socket should be pre-installed somewhere under the boot floor and installation of the wiring harness should be limited to removing a plug from the floor-pan and replacing it with one moulded onto the cable.

maby said:
That is disappointing - the connector for the trailer socket should be pre-installed somewhere under the boot floor and installation of the wiring harness should be limited to removing a plug from the floor-pan and replacing it with one moulded onto the cable.
You are right about the "connector somewhere", BUT :
1) there is a lot of work to remove/refit all these plastic panels in the boot ;
2) it took me one hour to locate the "connector" (well hidden + senile decay....) ;
3) fitting the harness involves some modifications to the car wiring ( adding a relay, cutting one wire, crimping new connectors etc...) ;
4) the boot floor needs a BIG hole.

It can be done at home, but do not consider it an easy job.

EDIT : link to installation instructions.

FLYER34 said:
maby said:
You are right about the "connector somewhere", BUT :
1) there is a lot of work to remove/refit all these plastic panels in the boot ;
2) it took me one hour to locate the "connector" (well hidden + senile decay....) ;
3) fitting the harness involves some modifications to the car wiring ( adding a relay, cutting one wire, crimping new connectors etc...) ;
4) the boot floor needs a BIG hole.

It can be done at home, but do not consider it an easy job.

Hmmm, thanks for the advice - I will not! I have to say that it is probably 15 years or more since I last towed anything, but I had considered fitting a tow bar on the Outlander since it is a bit smaller than either the Landcruiser we have now or the Landrovers that preceded that and I thought I might want to rent a small trailer from time to time to take rubbish to the dump.

Back