Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Check engine light, - 20C, Canadian model
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:15 pm 

2018 outlander phev Canadian model had a check engine light this morning. First - 20c morning. Booked appointment for 4pm. Light went out before got it to dealer. Dealer said no stored codes. "It was a soft code and probably just because of the cold." Said they had multiple outlander PHEVs in today and same thing. Nothing to be done.

Does this vehicle really just throw a light because it's cold and really have "soft" diagnostic trouble codes that are not stored beyond 3 power cycles??

Post subject: Re: Check engine light, - 20C, Canadian model
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:40 pm 

Yes and yes.

In Germany, we don‘t have such cold (normaly), but in the manual is writen, if it is below -15 or 20 (out of mind), can can srop error and can even stop working.

2019 Top

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:04 am 

'Soft' or 'pending' fault codes are a feature of the OBD2/EOBD/JOBD diagnostics system present in all modern cars (after about 2001).

They get logged for things that are expected to be temporary and resolve themselves but if the issue keeps coming up then they'll trigger a proper stored fault code. For example the one misfire on a single cylinder of a petrol engine might not be cause for concern but if it's doing it every few seconds it could indicate a fault with a spark plug or injector on that cylinder. If the issue isn't detected after a couple of engine run cycles then it'll clear the code as the issue was clearly just a transitory one.

(recently departed - 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn (LPG))

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 am 

-30C in Finland today, no check engine but tyre pressure sensor malfunction. :D

I checked the pressures and they are fine.. Have to wait for warmer climate to see if it fixes itself, or is it really broken.

I only had the car for two days, weather has been -25C .. -30C the whole time. :) Not much hope for pure EV driving..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:55 am 

Mitch wrote:
Yes and yes.

In Germany, we don‘t have such cold (normaly), but in the manual is writen, if it is below -15 or 20 (out of mind), can can srop error and can even stop working.

And even stop working at - 15c?! I feel that is something that should have been made very clear before buying the thing. Hopefully that's one of the many differences between the north American and EU versions as it at least seems to run ok. Just giving faults. I guess it'll be my last mitsubishi if they'll sell vehicles here that are not built for the climate. I've NEVER had ford or chevy use weather as an excuse for a fault light.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm 

There's a fellow in North Bay (Gary Reed) who posts YouTube videos about his PHEV including several cold-weather tests. In a recent video he was driving around in -35 C. See here https://youtu.be/uVLhAU-KPtk

He did mention that the Canadian models have a battery heater, which I'm guessing is a fan/air based system. I hope the models sold in Scandinavia have such a heater because I'm heading up north in a few weeks and don't want to get stuck in the mountains with a dead PHEV. :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm 

The EU Model, or only the German one, has no battery heating, only cooling :x
Even the heated front window is not available in Germany :cry:

Coldest night this winter was -6 C and I had no issues.

2019 Top

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:12 am 

Well Canadian model isn't much different. - 20c this morning. Vehicle won't completely start, won't shut off. Thinks it's still plugged in when it's not. Service brakes now. Service ev system now. Dealer says it's normal for these to start acting up in the cold but is towing it and will reflash it. In the 18 hours leading up to this the vehicle was plugged in the entire time but only drew a total of 0.5kwh. Doesn't seem to be heating the battery properly. Definitely last mitsubishi. First tow truck couldn't get the vehicle into N and had to call a special truck.

Last edited by Openair on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:42 am 

Nah, several mornings about -30C here and no issues..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:50 pm 

I think our car didn't want to start a few times like that when it was new, - neither start or stop. I think a 30 second press on the starter button "fixed" it. Might be worth trying....