2023 Outlander SEL PHEV w/ Tech Package

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpetro

All,
This is my first time posting, sorry for the length:

I just upgraded to a 2023 Outlander PHEV from an older Outlander Sport this October. Spent several months looking for this color with the tech package. I sensed not many were shipped to the US. I finally found it in at a Mitsubishi dealer in Maryland who shipped it to Iowa for me. I was hoping to take advantage of the US EV tax rebate until I found that it did apply to the Outlander as it is entirely made off-shore. I looked at leasing as a way to get the rebate, but the costs, even short term, didn't make sense.

With only a few months experience, I love the car - the looks, comfort, handling, features and the way it drives. I have no doubt that it will be as reliable as the last 3 Mitsubishi cars I have owned. As a side note, both my Montero and Outlander Sport had in excess of 160,000 miles on them when I sold them, without any major repairs.

What has been especially impressing is the fuel economy. Considering most of my travel is my office commute which is about 30 miles round trip and weekend local trips, EV mode is well utilized. In this type of driving it is really cost effective especial with Iowa's electric rates at $.105/kw. I just completed my first longer trip to Chicago, about 360 miles one way, it clocked in at 23.5 mpg on gas. This was not very impressive, but it is really a full size SUV compared to my Outlander Sport.

I have been accumulating all my gas charges and electric costs ( $270. USD ) for 3,271 miles traveled. Overall with my local driving and some longer mile trips - my energy costs per 100 miles is around $8.27 USD. Not bad for a full size SUV!

I am a little concerned with Iowa winters having read some posts by the owner community that stated that the main battery could fail to start the engine when temps are at -20° F. It does not happen often in Iowa but it does on occasion, and I still have nightmares of me stranded at my office until the weather warms :) Some day I'll find out if that was true or not.

I do wish it had some of the little features my Outlander Sport had such as in secondary compartment in the top of the compartment between the front the seats, which now is a deep box, or a pen holder in the glove box. Also, I don't understand why Mitsubishi didn't have some sort of garage door opener link like I have in my GT3000 Spyder instead of relying on a service from myQ. It is very inconvenient to use the myQ garage door service when using Android Auto, jumping through several screens to get to the My Mitsubishi Services as compared to just pressing a button. Otherwise the car has been truly impressive.

I am attaching a not so good photo of my first day charging at home. I had to charge it outside because I didn't have an outlet close enough - finally convinced my wife to change garage bays. I will upload a better view when the weather improves.

Wishing all a wonderful Holiday season!

Jim

Attachments​

We got the same color from a dealer in Miami one year ago today. It already has 14000 miles on it after doing 2 long road trips in it last year. So far only one minor problem. The material around the console was lifting up but was repaired under warranty. The Mitsubishi Connect / garage opener function was a disappointment for us as well. I ended up buying another remote and clipped it on to the visor. Other than that we have been totally satisfied!!

We got the same color from a dealer in Miami one year ago today. It already has 14000 miles on it after doing 2 long road trips in it last year. So far only one minor problem. The material around the console was lifting up but was repaired under warranty. The Mitsubishi Connect / garage opener function was a disappointment for us as well. I ended up buying another remote and clipped it on to the visor. Other than that we have been totally satisfied!!
I was looking at them at a Miami dealer in October, and decided to buy from a dealer in Maryland. I have 3,800 miles and so far I am very pleased. I seem to find some new feature on a weekly basis. So far the cold weather where main battery temp gets to -20° F issue has not been a problem for me in Iowa, but there were a few days when I was sweating it and hoped it didn't lock out starting the car.

All,
This is my first time posting, sorry for the length:

I just upgraded to a 2023 Outlander PHEV from an older Outlander Sport this October. Spent several months looking for this color with the tech package. I sensed not many were shipped to the US. I finally found it in at a Mitsubishi dealer in Maryland who shipped it to Iowa for me. I was hoping to take advantage of the US EV tax rebate until I found that it did apply to the Outlander as it is entirely made off-shore. I looked at leasing as a way to get the rebate, but the costs, even short term, didn't make sense.

With only a few months experience, I love the car - the looks, comfort, handling, features and the way it drives. I have no doubt that it will be as reliable as the last 3 Mitsubishi cars I have owned. As a side note, both my Montero and Outlander Sport had in excess of 160,000 miles on them when I sold them, without any major repairs.

What has been especially impressing is the fuel economy. Considering most of my travel is my office commute which is about 30 miles round trip and weekend local trips, EV mode is well utilized. In this type of driving it is really cost effective especial with Iowa's electric rates at $.105/kw. I just completed my first longer trip to Chicago, about 360 miles one way, it clocked in at 23.5 mpg on gas. This was not very impressive, but it is really a full size SUV compared to my Outlander Sport.

I have been accumulating all my gas charges and electric costs ( $270. USD ) for 3,271 miles traveled. Overall with my local driving and some longer mile trips - my energy costs per 100 miles is around $8.27 USD. Not bad for a full size SUV!

I am a little concerned with Iowa winters having read some posts by the owner community that stated that the main battery could fail to start the engine when temps are at -20° F. It does not happen often in Iowa but it does on occasion, and I still have nightmares of me stranded at my office until the weather warms :) Some day I'll find out if that was true or not.

I do wish it had some of the little features my Outlander Sport had such as in secondary compartment in the top of the compartment between the front the seats, which now is a deep box, or a pen holder in the glove box. Also, I don't understand why Mitsubishi didn't have some sort of garage door opener link like I have in my GT3000 Spyder instead of relying on a service from myQ. It is very inconvenient to use the myQ garage door service when using Android Auto, jumping through several screens to get to the My Mitsubishi Services as compared to just pressing a button. Otherwise the car has been truly impressive.

I am attaching a not so good photo of my first day charging at home. I had to charge it outside because I didn't have an outlet close enough - finally convinced my wife to change garage bays. I will upload a better view when the weather improves.

Wishing all a wonderful Holiday season!

Jim

Attachments​

It took me a while to realize the Outlander Sport you referred to is known Everywhere else as ASX and prior to that RVR. Where I come from, Outlander Sport is an Outlander with a "sport" badge for some unknown reason. Why car companies do that is beyond me.

However I did look at the specs when I was planning to buy and it seems at the time (2018) ASX, Eclipse, and Outlander all had the same wheelbase and track width, although one of them was 5mm wider. So the differences seem to be mostly body shape related, but same platform underneath. cant recall engine specs.

Last edited:
I was looking at them at a Miami dealer in October, and decided to buy from a dealer in Maryland. I have 3,800 miles and so far I am very pleased. I seem to find some new feature on a weekly basis. So far the cold weather where main battery temp gets to -20° F issue has not been a problem for me in Iowa, but there were a few days when I was sweating it and hoped it didn't lock out starting the car.
How did you do the rest of the winter and are you aware of the class action lawsuit awaiting certification on the cold start issue?

How did you do the rest of the winter and are you aware of the class action lawsuit awaiting certification on the cold start issue?
It ran just fine. There was one evening when we went to an event and car was outside for 3-4 hours in temps at -12°F, I was a little concerned but it started just fine. I do love the car and have had no problems this winter.

Yes I did hear of the class action lawsuit. I haven't had a chance to chase it down yet.

Jim

It ran just fine. There was one evening when we went to an event and car was outside for 3-4 hours in temps at -12°F, I was a little concerned but it started just fine. I do love the car and have had no problems this winter.

Yes I did hear of the class action lawsuit. I haven't had a chance to chase it down yet.

Jim
Maybe you just dodged a bullet Jim - -12F ~ -24C...the magic number is -25C and depending on the battery temperature when you parked the vehicle and how long is sat at the coldest temperature you just got by. At-24C when I went to park the vehicle at the grocery store after a short 4 mile trip, I got the "the vehicle may not restart if you turn the engine off" message - count your lucky stars. We reegularly experience long stretches of -25C and colder and when its that cold I wouldnt be safe or smart to trust the vehicle to get me where I needed to go. Darned shame, I loved driving the machine too...when it's warm.

Maybe you just dodged a bullet Jim - -12F ~ -24C...the magic number is -25C and depending on the battery temperature when you parked the vehicle and how long is sat at the coldest temperature you just got by. At-24C when I went to park the vehicle at the grocery store after a short 4 mile trip, I got the "the vehicle may not restart if you turn the engine off" message - count your lucky stars. We reegularly experience long stretches of -25C and colder and when its that cold I wouldnt be safe or smart to trust the vehicle to get me where I needed to go. Darned shame, I loved driving the machine too...when it's warm.
Thanks for the validation - that is really a bummer! I will have to pay close attention to that.
Regards,
Jim

Back