Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:21 pm 

Interesting, stevewa, as far as I know the suspension of our vehicles should be identical. My ride, for the previous 4 years, was a Chev TrailBlazer EXT (long wheelbase, 3rd row seats), which was a bit soft for backroad adventures, but with a 2.5" lift kit, and rear suspension upgraded with progressive rate springs from a Z71 Tahoe and BDS shocks, became a very capable logging road/fire trail explorer.

I didn't buy the Outlander for it's off road abilities, but did expect a little more from a vehicle sold as an SUV, as that designation implies a reasonable level of off pavement usefulness.

I guess our respective expectations of the PHEV are from quite different perspectives. I must say that the prime reason for my purchase, increased fuel economy, has been more than met, with my fuel savings being enough to cover the payment on the vehicle each month. I just have to be mindful of the obstacles that I encounter on my backroad adventures, and know when it's time to give up and turn around. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:52 pm 

Indeed, my purpose is to have a plugin that's comfortable on longer trips and can also manage towing our popup trailer. So far we are not putting many miles on the clock (just over 2000 since late January) and hope to keep this vehicle at least as long as its predecessor (2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, which was not as comfortable and barely had the capacity to tow our 990 pound trailer).

Figuring in the plugin miles we are ahead of the efficiency of the Ford, (gas alone is a little worse but the Ford is a smaller, less capable ride) and the comfort and safety factors are leagues ahead.

My next major quandry is likely to be what to do about winter tires and wheels. Will probably stand pat for this coming season, but it really depends on Mother Nature.

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 pm 

Plenty of threads on the subject of winter tyres on the forum. I've decided to replace the wheel changes with all-season tyres: Vredestein Quatrac 5.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates