New owner, still confused about parking sensors

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggow

Hi all,

I've just become the very proud owner of a 2016MY GX4H, which I'm loving so far, however I would feel a little more comfortable if it had parking sensors. As good as the 360 camera seems to be, I just foresee a circumstance where there's that small post that the camera just didn't pick up and CRUNCH!

So, I've read a bunch of posts on here about people's experiences with having them retrofitted, but I'm still a little confused as to what you actually end up with. So, can I ask...?

- If you have genuine Mitsubishi front and rear sensors fitted on a 2016MY GX4H, by a dealer, is the result the same as the experience you get from having a GX4HS?

- Following on from the above point, is there any graphical display visible on the MMCS associated with the parking sensors, or is it purely an audio feedback system? I've seen posts where people say they found the beeps between front and back very confusing, but I couldn't tell which model car they had, or if they had MMCS.

- Am I right in thinking 2016MY cars have 4 sensors each on front and back, and therefore don't have the blind spot in the middle that I've seen some people mention?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Can't really answer but I am shocked about the fact you didn't see the post in your 360 camera. Not aware of any blind spots in those cameras - are they not as reliable as it seems?

Hi Biggow,

I have a MY16 GX4H and have dealer fit front and rear Parking sensors fitted - four sensors on each. Having been used to front and rear sensors for many years, I wanted the extra security of audible sensors - I have not regretted it.

There is a difference in tone between the front and rear sensors but there is not much difference between them - one is a bit higher than the other. There is no screen display and therefore nothing to indicate front/rear or left/right. They work just as you would expect and can be switched off if desired.

Overall if you are used to having them I would definitely recommend having them fitted, I didn't think that the cameras were enough as I doubt that I would normally switch on the all round view cameras when forward manoeuvring.

Hi,

I don't have the 360 camera, just the standard one.

I had aftermarket sensors fitted (rear) by the company that the Mitsubishi local garage uses to fit them (and tow bars!) They were half the price of the ones the dealer fits and are identical. 4 sensors. They fit in the areas indicated on the reverse of the bumper where Mitsubishi have pre-marked where to fit.

They work by a "beep" fitted by the rear quarter panel and work really well in conjunction with the camera. The volume is adjustable from beep to Beep to BEEP. Very happy having the extra peace of mind in case the camera doesn't catch everything or is blurred from rain/road dirt. Best everyday use "mod" I did, probably.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies all.

I'm a little 50/50 on it, to be honest, particularly as the dealer quoted me £687 fitted.

jthspace - do you have any info. on the ones you had fitted, because if I could get them at half price that would make it a no brainer?

Back