Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 am
Posts: 2
Hi everyone.
Now I know that to most this post maybe boring, useless or even obscene to some but here we go.
I would love to know if anyone has actually done any serious modifications to their PHEV or just plane ol outlander. I have seen the rally versions and a kitted up jap version but nothing else really.

Has anyone done any suspension (lowering or raising)
Wheel changes
Motor tuning for performance / economy
body mods
Interior mods

I can maybe think of a few problems that may occur in changing the wheel / suspension setup but if anyone has any experience it would be nice to know.
I have also heard of the OBD plug in device which can give some gains.

I realise that it is still a relatively new vehicle and may mostly be used as a family run around so not really thought of as being modified in these ways.
However I'm not a family man and would like to change a few things if possible.
Any pics would be really handy or links to any parts etc that may be out there.

Ta
Matt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 am
Posts: 128
I'd quite like to replace the privacy rear glass with untinted. But I'm not sure if untinted glass exists for this car … the whole car industry seems to have decided everyone craves the dark stuff. I imagine it would be very expensive too.

Steve

_________________
2016 GX4h in red


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:54 am
Posts: 50
mcalvert39 wrote:
Hi everyone.
Now I know that to most this post maybe boring, useless or even obscene to some but here we go.
I would love to know if anyone has actually done any serious modifications to their PHEV or just plane ol outlander. I have seen the rally versions and a kitted up jap version but nothing else really.

Has anyone done any suspension (lowering or raising)
Wheel changes
Motor tuning for performance / economy
body mods
Interior mods

I can maybe think of a few problems that may occur in changing the wheel / suspension setup but if anyone has any experience it would be nice to know.
I have also heard of the OBD plug in device which can give some gains.

I realise that it is still a relatively new vehicle and may mostly be used as a family run around so not really thought of as being modified in these ways.
However I'm not a family man and would like to change a few things if possible.
Any pics would be really handy or links to any parts etc that may be out there.

Ta
Matt.


Hello Matt, I'm quite in the middle of it, and obviously no thousand-horsepower-mods here... but here we go:

- Test winner year-round tyres are arriving soon, going up slightly in size from the factory default: 235/55 r18's will be installed (little wider but as well a few millimeters higher sidewalls, getting closer (albeit mildly) to the 'optimum' 4x4 vehicle tyre size.

- Going to install an auto door locking system (my own design but going to do what it's supposed to...hopefully) (Hate to leave the car open...happens a few times at the mall! - closing the motorized boot lid.... you can't lock the car until it's finished...by this time I just forget to lock and leave the car without :evil: )

- Have installed carbon fiber foil pillar posts and boot opening-rear bumper protection sill - this latter would probably be replaced with an ABS bumper protector made for the PHEV (after the re-spraying of the bumper because of some damage I gained lately)

- Will install (ordered) market leader maximum brightness xenon bulbs (150%)

- Installed 4x Philips 360 LED W5W bulbs - number plate lights, parking lights in headlamps

- Have installed 65W HB3/9005 Narva "Range power white" xenon look halogen hi-beam bulbs (later to be replaced by 10400 Lumen active cooled LED bulbs)

- Plan on buying the PHEV Box to gain some extra range, no ICE start at takeovers and no (or less..) ICE for the heater

- Plan on buying real carbon fiber number plate holders (no rationale behind.. but look so right in my opinion, however 150 quids a piece)

- On the online market for long for getting the OEM LED DRL's to replace the halogen fogs (but being reluctant since to fork out 300 quids for the new ones...)

- Using petrol stabilizer for the gas not to disintegrate in the tank (this conserves the fuel for up to 1 year - I'm using the PHEV 99% EV only. Remember additives, especially E85 ingredient make today's fuels unstable - the dissolved petrol can do horrible things to the fuel lines, engine parts etc in the long run)

- Lastly, not a mod, but using the Remote CTRL for optimizing charge timing (no full charge for next day if there's no need for full range (avoiding li-ion battery full state for as long periods as possible thus preserving battery life), no charge in minus degrees at night...instead charge in the morning hours if possible (I have an unheated garage)

...And OK, I'm a family man!!! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 pm
Posts: 62
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
mrqz wrote:
- Plan on buying the PHEV Box to gain some extra range


What's this Box? Is there a link :?:
I presume it's an additional battery pack?

[edit]never mind...
http://evtun.com/phev-box.html
Interesting mod![/edit]

_________________
Image2018 Diamond white SE Touring, Black interior, with hitch, OBDLink LX Bluetooth, Hopkins InSight brake controllerImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:44 am
Posts: 75
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Phevy wrote:
mrqz wrote:
- Plan on buying the PHEV Box to gain some extra range


What's this Box? Is there a link :?:
I presume it's an additional battery pack?

[edit]never mind...
http://evtun.com/phev-box.html
Interesting mod![/edit]


I used the Forum Search, typed in PHEV Box and look what I found. LOL

http://evtun.com/phev-box.html

_________________
2018 Outlander PHEV - GT Model
Ext: Quartz Brown Int: Black (I wanted Brown with red stitching) - Brown Interior Not available with Brown Exterior for Canada I was told


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 3539
Location: Netherlands
The PHEV box won't gain you extra range, it just modifies the throttle response to make it easier to drive in the EV-only mode.

_________________
www.jaapvphotography.eu
www.l-camera-forum.com


Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 3539
Location: Netherlands
mrqz wrote:
mcalvert39 wrote:
Hi everyone.
Now I know that to most this post maybe boring, useless or even obscene to some but here we go.
I would love to know if anyone has actually done any serious modifications to their PHEV or just plane ol outlander. I have seen the rally versions and a kitted up jap version but nothing else really.

Has anyone done any suspension (lowering or raising)
Wheel changes
Motor tuning for performance / economy
body mods
Interior mods

I can maybe think of a few problems that may occur in changing the wheel / suspension setup but if anyone has any experience it would be nice to know.
I have also heard of the OBD plug in device which can give some gains.

I realise that it is still a relatively new vehicle and may mostly be used as a family run around so not really thought of as being modified in these ways.
However I'm not a family man and would like to change a few things if possible.
Any pics would be really handy or links to any parts etc that may be out there.

Ta
Matt.


Hello Matt, I'm quite in the middle of it, and obviously no thousand-horsepower-mods here... but here we go:

- Test winner year-round tyres are arriving soon, going up slightly in size from the factory default: 235/55 r18's will be installed (little wider but as well a few millimeters higher sidewalls, getting closer (albeit mildly) to the 'optimum' 4x4 vehicle tyre size.

- Going to install an auto door locking system (my own design but going to do what it's supposed to...hopefully) (Hate to leave the car open...happens a few times at the mall! - closing the motorized boot lid.... you can't lock the car until it's finished...by this time I just forget to lock and leave the car without :evil: )

- Have installed carbon fiber foil pillar posts and boot opening-rear bumper protection sill - this latter would probably be replaced with an ABS bumper protector made for the PHEV (after the re-spraying of the bumper because of some damage I gained lately)

- Will install (ordered) market leader maximum brightness xenon bulbs (150%)

- Installed 4x Philips 360 LED W5W bulbs - number plate lights, parking lights in headlamps

- Have installed 65W HB3/9005 Narva "Range power white" xenon look halogen hi-beam bulbs (later to be replaced by 10400 Lumen active cooled LED bulbs)

- Plan on buying the PHEV Box to gain some extra range, no ICE start at takeovers and no (or less..) ICE for the heater

- Plan on buying real carbon fiber number plate holders (no rationale behind.. but look so right in my opinion, however 150 quids a piece)

- On the online market for long for getting the OEM LED DRL's to replace the halogen fogs (but being reluctant since to fork out 300 quids for the new ones...)

- Using petrol stabilizer for the gas not to disintegrate in the tank (this conserves the fuel for up to 1 year - I'm using the PHEV 99% EV only. Remember additives, especially E85 ingredient make today's fuels unstable - the dissolved petrol can do horrible things to the fuel lines, engine parts etc in the long run)

- Lastly, not a mod, but using the Remote CTRL for optimizing charge timing (no full charge for next day if there's no need for full range (avoiding li-ion battery full state for as long periods as possible thus preserving battery life), no charge in minus degrees at night...instead charge in the morning hours if possible (I have an unheated garage)

...And OK, I'm a family man!!! :lol:

The car won't allow you to leave petrol in the tank for more than three months. It will go into ICE mode to burn it off and force you to fill up.

_________________
www.jaapvphotography.eu
www.l-camera-forum.com


Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:54 am
Posts: 50
jaapv wrote:
The car won't allow you to leave petrol in the tank for more than three months. It will go into ICE mode to burn it off and force you to fill up.


Unless you disable that option which i ususally do - why burn 15 litres of fuel if you don't use any milliliters of it for the propulsion at all.. that is my take on this matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am
Posts: 3043
Location: Netherlands, Utrecht area
mrqz wrote:
jaapv wrote:
The car won't allow you to leave petrol in the tank for more than three months. It will go into ICE mode to burn it off and force you to fill up.


Unless you disable that option which i ususally do - why burn 15 litres of fuel if you don't use any milliliters of it for the propulsion at all.. that is my take on this matter.

I guess a lot of people would love to hear from you how to do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 3539
Location: Netherlands
Fill up with 15 litres of water perhaps?

_________________
www.jaapvphotography.eu
www.l-camera-forum.com


Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
© Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group