Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Modding the PHEV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:30 am 

My only mod has been replacing the stereo (non-MMCS) with a Pioneer double din. Using an app from the Google Play Store, my phone fills the screen and I have full control of it from the stereo's touchscreen, so I have Waze as my sat nav and Deezer or Spotify providing the tunes!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:36 am 

jaapv wrote:
Fill up with 15 litres of water perhaps?

That would not only disable the 'petrol refresh' function, but the whole vehicle at one go - wouldn't it? :lol:

Last edited by mrqz on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:41 am 

anko wrote:
mrqz wrote:
jaapv wrote:
The car won't allow you to leave petrol in the tank for more than three months. It will go into ICE mode to burn it off and force you to fill up.

Unless you disable that option which i usually do - why burn 15 litres of fuel if you don't use any milliliters of it for the propulsion at all.. that is my take on this matter.

I guess a lot of people would love to hear from you how to do that.

Anko, you know it's just before starting up you disconnect the aux. battery for a few secs. That is it - this 'trick' I'm sure is well known by the forum members (at least, those consuming very little petrol over the months, like i do...)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 am 

jaapv wrote:
Fill up with 15 litres of water perhaps?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm 

Dear all
I was in Norway last year and saw Outlander PHEV with a kind of body kit, fancy wheels and an additional lightbar under the bumper.
I'll try to upload the pictures for your inspiration ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm 

Hi,
I'm new here but saw this thread and had to post.

We need to get some interest around the Mits Out PHEV in aftermarket parts.

Some major area's which would help with performance would be a lighter weight hood (it is obscenely heavy and hurting overall performance due to extra weight) and possibly slightly less environment friendly, but better performing exhaust for the gasoline engine.

Also a open air filter for the engine.

One thing I do suggest everyone do is use lighter weight wheels (for those not off roading). They help with performance and efficiency greatly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 am 

Bugalydosh wrote:
Hi,
I'm new here but saw this thread and had to post.

We need to get some interest around the Mits Out PHEV in aftermarket parts.

Some major area's which would help with performance would be a lighter weight hood (it is obscenely heavy and hurting overall performance due to extra weight) and possibly slightly less environment friendly, but better performing exhaust for the gasoline engine.

Also a open air filter for the engine.

One thing I do suggest everyone do is use lighter weight wheels (for those not off roading). They help with performance and efficiency greatly.

Hi Bugalydosh, all three very good points there.

BTW - have you by any chance weighted the factory 18x7 rims yet? I wonder how heavy they are, while they don't look a particularly stodgy wheels to me (still they can be heavy).
I've got the PHEV for 7 months now, but even months before the purchase I was planning I would get some real lightweight rims for it. When I got the PHEV, i no longer gave it a thought tho, partly because I thought the lightweight wheels can be rated for less weight than a 4x4 demands, especially one that's packed with a few hundred kilo's of batteries. That said, this upgrade can still be an interesting topic hereafter.

Hood (bonnet) - Very good point again, however when I lifted it up, again it didn't feel that heavy to me. I used to have Saabs with double strut support to the bonnet, and when the struts became weak, it felt heavier than the PHEV's. Again, would be nice to know how many kilos we're talking about, to make a calculation about weight saving potential with fibreglass hood. (Carbon fiber hood is out of scope i think, as too few companies are available that would be able to produce it professionally to a low weight and affordable price standard.) A well made fibreglass hood can roughly halve the weight of the factory steel one.

Gasoline engine upgrades - open air intake could be something to consider, however I'm generally against it due to mixed reviews on the non-paper filters' filtering abilities. However, an air intake that is significantly larger than the original one, should be a fantastic upgrade methinks, so would be some ECU remapping of the ICE engine and as you say - a performance exhaust system... possibly with sport catalytic converter!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am 

I was very disappointed with the headlights so one of my mods was to add an led light bar.
It's fantastic on those quiet A & B roads.

Simply piggy backed power from the fuse box.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 am 

mrqz wrote:

Gasoline engine upgrades - open air intake could be something to consider, however I'm generally against it due to mixed reviews on the non-paper filters' filtering abilities. However, an air intake that is significantly larger than the original one, should be a fantastic upgrade methinks, so would be some ECU remapping of the ICE engine and as you say - a performance exhaust system... possibly with sport catalytic converter!

Is there any point in tuning the petrol engine in a PHEV? At speeds below about 50mph, the transmission can only be electric and the power put down on the ground will be limited by the electrical system irrespective of what the engine can output. The engine can couple mechanically to the wheels above about 50mph, but only via a single speed gearbox - not a lot of scope to make controlled use of any extra power you manage to wring out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 am 

MrPastry wrote:
I was very disappointed with the headlights so one of my mods was to add an led light bar.
It's fantastic on those quiet A & B roads.

Simply piggy backed power from the fuse box.

A nice protection for the cooler behind as well.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next