Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Battery Charge/Save Buttons
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 pm 

elm70 wrote:

PS: Both CHARGE and SAVE do nothing if the battery is over 80% fully charged ...

Mine will happily burn petrol continually in an attempt to get the battery up to 100% in CHARGE mode!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:01 pm 

When pressed while soc was still above 80%? Our when pressed when soc was already below 80%?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 am 

anko wrote:
When pressed while soc was still above 80%? Our when pressed when soc was already below 80%?

I'm not completely sure to tell you the truth - would you expect it to make any difference? I don't regularly drive in "Charge" mode - as you know, I drive in "save" to retain the charge that I put in from the mains. On a few occasions, I have allowed the SOC to drop low and have used Charge to bring it up to a reasonable level. I had heard suggestions here that Charge would not take the car over 80%, so I did run a couple of tests. I put the car into "Charge" mode and left it there - it took the battery up close to 100% but never cut the petrol engine - on one occasion I was stopped at traffic lights with the engine running reasonably fast and the battery stuck just below 100%. This was when the car was reasonably new, so I don't think it was a symptom of battery degradation.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

As I have mentioned once or twice, when towing my aim is to keep an as high as possible SOC. Typically, this means I will hit the Charge button as soon as I drive out of our street. I thought I had noticed a couple of times, pressing Charge would not (immediately) start the engine if I did it to quickly. I assumed it was because SOC was too high at that moment. For this reason, I was curious about your experiences.

Yesterday, we towed our caravan over approx. 80 km. Before I got a change to engage Charge mode then engine had already started because I had "floored" it (*). As soon as I heard the engine, I remembered to press Charge and I did. At that time, SOC was around 83%. The engine kept running in serial mode and produced just enough power to drive the car and increase SOC bit by bit. It kept running in serial mode even after we entered the motorway (doing 60+ MPH). Don't know why it does / did that, but it started doing this about a year ago. Either way, I like it, as it means I can maintain high SOC for when I need it.

Funny enough, presumable because SOC is that low, the car does not feel the need to increase SOC very fast. So, although RPM is not fixed with speed, the very high revving stays out. Not ideal, but much better than towing with low SOC, where the car switches between parallel mode and high revving serial mode every tow minutes or so.

(*) Due to the poor state of health of my battery, the battery will not release more then 45 kW unless it has to. Not nearly enough for towing.