how much energy the batttery keep's saved went ICE start's

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 30% the battery indicator shows 1 segment. Below 30%, no segments are shown.

At speeds below 65 km/h, the car tries to maintain an SOC between 26 and 28 %.
At speeds above 65 km/h, the car tries to maintain an SOC between 31 and 32,5%.

When you keep demanding more power than the ICE can deliver at low SOC, the SOC may go lower.
At 22% the heater and A/C are killed.
At 20% the Limited Driving Capability warning will light up (Turtle mode).
At 13% the car comes to a halt when the petrol tank is empty.

anko said:
At 30% the battery indicator shows 1 segment. Below 30%, no segments are shown.

At speeds below 65 km/h, the car tries to maintain an SOC between 26 and 28 %.
At speeds above 65 km/h, the car tries to maintain an SOC between 31 and 32,5%.

When you keep demanding more power than the ICE can deliver at low SOC, the SOC may go lower.
At 22% the heater and A/C are killed.
At 20% the Limited Driving Capability warning will light up (Turtle mode).
At 13% the car comes to a halt when the petrol tank is empty.

How do you know this Numbers ? Do you have a device to mesure?

I can also add without tech numbers but from actual driving that if the car is in SAVE mode with some battery remaining, that when the petrol tank is showing EMPTY with no bars and the TOTAL range goes to --.-- that the ICE will stop and the PHEV will continue on battery. [There is still plenty of petrol in the tank at this point]. High power demands with the accelerator will sometimes bring the ICE back on. As the battery level diminishes to zero, the computer will then operate the ICE in series hybrid until the petrol tank is empty. [My PHEV drove for 160km in this last phase from the empty petrol gauge and 40km battery range]. At the end of the test drive, When my PHEV showed an empty battery and an empty fuel tank and the ICE no longer operated, the car still drove. I did not persue the test any further and just put 10L of petrol back in the tank and got going again. I feel the car is really conservative with the instruments and if you continue to drive beyond the empty gauges the car will stop, but if you are unable to plan around and recharge the battery or refill the petrol tank, then the PHEV is not your car.

I don't plan to need to worry about the less than 30% of the battery remaining drawbacks. On a longer trip, the jerry can will go for the ride as well.

gwatpe said:
I can also add without tech numbers but from actual driving that if the car is in SAVE mode with some battery remaining, that when the petrol tank is showing EMPTY with no bars and the TOTAL range goes to --.-- that the ICE will stop and the PHEV will continue on battery. [There is still plenty of petrol in the tank at this point]. High power demands with the accelerator will sometimes bring the ICE back on. As the battery level diminishes to zero, the computer will then operate the ICE in series hybrid until the petrol tank is empty. [My PHEV drove for 160km in this last phase from the empty petrol gauge and 40km battery range]. At the end of the test drive, When my PHEV showed an empty battery and an empty fuel tank and the ICE no longer operated, the car still drove. I did not persue the test any further and just put 10L of petrol back in the tank and got going again. I feel the car is really conservative with the instruments and if you continue to drive beyond the empty gauges the car will stop, but if you are unable to plan around and recharge the battery or refill the petrol tank, then the PHEV is not your car.

I don't plan to need to worry about the less than 30% of the battery remaining drawbacks. On a longer trip, the jerry can will go for the ride as well.

So the answer for those complaining elsewhere about not being able to drive the car in EV in cold weather without the ICE kicking in for short journeys would be to run down the petrol as above :p

Believe it or not, but it is not the answer. I have been in this situation: engine had already stopped, save button didn't work, charge button didn't work. And as soon as I turned on the heater, the engine started to idle. Just enough to provide heat. But it was still running on battery power.

Apparently, the idea about the schema was not implemented 100% consistently. :shock:

anko said:
Believe it or not, but it is not the answer. I have been in this situation: engine had already stopped, save button didn't work, charge button didn't work. And as soon as I turned on the heater, the engine started to idle. Just enough to provide heat. But it was still running on battery power.

Apparently, the idea about the schema was not implemented 100% consistently. :shock:

I'm sure that the power management system is implemented using some form of fuzzy logic - the behaviour not be obviously deterministic.

anko said:

In my test, there was absolutely no petrol left in the tank. Managed to fill with over 45L of juice. Would not wish to be stuck in the cold this way, as I would freeze up with the car. No risk with freezing weather where I live. Climate changes may affect this, but hopefully not when I am still kicking.

You are right, I overlooked that aspect. In that case, probably it will work.

But the question would be, how do you get into / stay in that situation? When you got into that situation, you had to fill it up with 10 liters of gas to proceed your journey. And that would mean: end of experiment. We would have to first get into that situation and then recharge the battery, right there and right then. Or put it on a flatbed :lol:

Back