Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long Distance MPG
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:08 pm 

For measuring fuel consumption, I don't mess with filling to full.
Instead I use the half full mark on the fuel gauge. I note the distance to the nearest 5miles as I pass the half-way mark and always fill a whole number of litres (easier to remember).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 am 

I use the empty fuel light to measure the mpg. Once light is on, I reset the odometer A (zero). Fill out 10 gallons within the reserve range. And then drive until the next light on. The Odometer A should give me a good number as mpg. Just need to move a decimal point to the left. Easier math, I suppose. Repeating again by resetting odometer.

It doesn’t work that well in the PHEV because it is harder to take SOC of batteries in consideration and I cannot charge batteries between fill ups...

For me, the “topping off” is just to get further in a longer trip. If I am driving alone, I only stop if I really have to. Better mpg and average speed? Just a little bit. Lower Gas price? Probably. Mostly it is to avoid potential dangerous situation. It is wired in my brain while driving in developing coutries. For safety, we try only stop in big gas stations along the road. Sometimes, even small cities are trap!

If I cannot get over this mental block, I predict adult dipper even with this small tank...

Tai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:26 am 

I tend to maintain a lower fuel tank level, say about a third or a quarter of a tank (or even less), unless I know I am going on a longer journey. Otherwise I could be driving around shorter EV range runs for weeks, maybe over a month, lugging around a full tank of fuel. This affects efficiency on ICE cars, so undoubtedly will with a PHEV.

I am now just over 3000 miles in on my 2019 4HS, I have done 66.41 miles for every gallon (UK) of unleaded put it. That's an equivalent mpg of 51.56 overall (when I take the cost of electricity used and how much unleaded that would have bought..).

Not bad at all for a car of this size, sure, but it will get better/worse the more EV/Unleaded miles I do. Currently, the above figures are 1791 miles on EV and 1209 miles on unleaded.

2001 Volvo V70 T5 SE
1997 Saab 9000 Aero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 am 

cornclose wrote:
I tend to maintain a lower fuel tank level

Durr, why have I never considered that. I'll do this too, thanks!

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am 

VillageIdiotDan wrote:
cornclose wrote:
I tend to maintain a lower fuel tank level

Durr, why have I never considered that. I'll do this too, thanks!

Clearly you don't know how aviation works. Name of the game in aviation is to get as little fuel in the plane as possible for each journey: only what's required, plus a reserve so that you can safely divert or go around if you have to. Anything extra is NOT loaded into the tank because it takes fuel to transport fuel. ;)

It's just that in cars, people don't normally do this because the penalty for increasing mass ratio isn't that severe, and the time it takes to refuel must also be considered. One key difference for planes is that they can ALWAYS refuel at their next destination, as airports have fuel pumps and tanks. But in a PHEV, if I were not burning much gasoline, I'd keep the fuel level low for another reason: to prevent it from going stale.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:13 am 

STS134 wrote:
Clearly you don't know how aviation works.

Damn, you got me :) Yeah, now you mention this, yes i knew this but I think i've been a bit slow to pick up on the opportunity to change approach in a PHEV. I guess it takes time having spent years not being so interested in range.

Regards,
Captain Dan! :)

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 am 

The bonus for using the half way mark on the Outlander is that it’s clearly marked. Also, you don’t need to fill to the brim if you’re not using much petrol but only ahead of a long trip. Similarly, you don’t need to risk inconvenience (running out or being fleeced) by running to a low point before filling-up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 am 

STS134 wrote:
Name of the game in aviation is to get as little fuel in the plane as possible for each journey: only what's required, plus a reserve so that you can safely divert or go around if you have to. Anything extra is NOT loaded into the tank because it takes fuel to transport fuel. ;)

That's probably true for most flights within the US, but in the rest of the world fuel prices can vary enough to make it worthwhile taking on additional 'cheap' fuel if you're flying to an 'expensive' destination (known as 'tankering'). It's not always a case of simply loading the minimum safe fuel (plus, of course, 'a ton for mum' :) ).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 am 

While true in theory, in practice it's not worth considering. In a commercial aircraft, the fuel is a huge proportion of the all-up weight on take-off: 170 tons with a max take-off weight of 440 tons or approximately 30%. In the PHEV a full tank of fuel weighs 33kg in a 1950kg (unladen) car, so the weight saving of ~15kg (or 0.7%) with half a tank isn't going to affect your economy in any measurable way.

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:23 am 

It's not so much the (incremental) weight of the extra fuel you might add, but the age of it that matters.
You don't want it going stale so you want to keep it fresh by putting less in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next