New owner MPG concerns

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated the main post with my results.

the 1st week of testing went quite well hitting 38mpg so a 12mpg improvement on the week before.

This week is looking even better so will update once I have done a fuel up. hopefully posting the details above might help others that have the same question.

Hypermiler said:
I do wish manufacturers would change the way they report economy on these cars. What people need to know is the realistic ev range - perhaps quoted at zero deg c and at 20 say and then mpg figures (which we all know are wildly wrong generally) with a flat battery. I am so fed up with people on Facebook saying "what mpg do you get" - well clearly some people get infinite mpg pretty much (ignoring elec cost) whilst others get sub 30. It is such a personal thing that all the parameters must be stated before any meaningful comparison can be made. Trouble is prospective owners don't understand this at all so it is leading to many disgruntled owners which is a shame.

Anyway, rant over.
Op - the fuelly info sounds wrong. The car sounds reasonable. You need to charge at work if at all possible. Your commute is not ideal for this car but hopefully your local weekend trips will make up for it. It will get better as weather warms up! Keeping motorway speed down will help.
Car manufactures have no freedom in reporting fuel consumption. The testing parameters are strictly defined by regulations. Deviating will result in heavy fines.

jaapv said:
Hypermiler said:
I do wish manufacturers would change the way they report economy on these cars.
Car manufactures have no freedom in reporting fuel consumption. The testing parameters are strictly defined by regulations. Deviating will result in heavy fines.

But, of course, they could also chose to quote "real world" figures, as well, and to be fair, most adverts have a disclaimer about the figures being for comparison purposes only and that actual figures will very from them. But equally, it would be a very brave manufacturer to be the one turkey to vote for Christmas by giving "real figures" marketing prominence.

However, surely most buyers research before handing over £000s - as I did by joining this forum in early 2014 and reading 3rd party reviews. Caveat emptor :idea:

And another thing. Few can be bothered these days, its a grubby, fiddly, business, but fact is a slightly soft tyre (or two or four) will demolish your fuel consumption whatever your fuel. At higher speeds it will be catastrophic. Check your tyre pressures twice as regularly as you think you need to! Also wear some thin soled shoes when driving - a heavy, now it's on, now it's off, right foot is a huge waste of energy.

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
Hypermiler said:
I do wish manufacturers would change the way they report economy on these cars.

But, of course, they could also chose to quote "real world" figures, as well, and to be fair, most adverts have a disclaimer about the figures being for comparison purposes only and that actual figures will very from them. But equally, it would be a very brave manufacturer to be the one turkey to vote for Christmas by giving "real figures" marketing prominence.

However, surely most buyers research before handing over £000s - as I did by joining this forum in early 2014 and reading 3rd party reviews. Caveat emptor :idea:

You could also just not worry about it......
A car that weighs about 2t with a 2l petrol motor will use x liters/100... give or take a few... that's just the way it is....

Back