You can get your PHEV to do in excess of 500 mpg, if you drive carefully, and frugally.....

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecological

I do only about 5000 miles per year..mostly short runs. Today I drove it 34 miles...and initially it stated that MPG was --- as it was above 99mpg. [The car was fully charged]. Towards the last 2 mile getting home, the mpg then dropped to 99mpg, then 95mpg, and by the time I got home, it was 92.5mpg. So all my miles must be carried out on EV mixed with petrol. I put it on normal, which is what my son who had completed Honours at the University of Birmingham, Chemical Engineering Degree advised me to put it on. He stated that, that would be the best and most economical way to run the car. I have tried to switch it to "Charge", and as expected efficiency fell right through the roof. I have also tried it on "Save" mode, and again, the efficiency was not more than 99mpg. I have also tried EV mode with the EV button, and again the MPG is rather punitive once EV runs out. Again it is always best to put it on "NORMAL" mode, as that is what the car is designed for...for most efficient performance on fuel efficiency. I do about 100 miles per week..and use about 22.5 litres of unleaded petrol every six months, perhaps more. I charge it up to full everytime before my 31 miles trip. the MPG even when I get home is recorded as above 99mpg [recorded as ---]. If I drove non economically, eg go fast, brake lots, accelerate rapidly...then obviously I will not be able to maintain this more than 99mpg. I have worked out that if my annual milleage is 5200miles, and I put in 22.5litres every 6 months, then I am getting 115.55 miles per litre which converted to gallons [4.54609] is 525.326 miles per gallon. That is on condition that I keep the car fully charged up for each trip, which is what I have been doing. I live in Nantwich which is north west of England. I avoid braking, and avoid sudden acceleration. My drive at around 40 mph to 55 mph. I love driving in Wales as there is a lot of 20mph zones. The car is very efficient at that speed.I charge my car up fully on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays every week, except when I go on holiday.

I like this. I'm almost a neighbour - I live near Northwich - and have only had a 2020 Outlander PHEV since last Thursday. Hence I am in sponge mode so far as information like this is concerned. Anything else I urgently or even very usefully need to know?

You omit the most important part... it is not if you drive carefully, and frugally but the length of your trips.
MPG doesn't count when one drive inside battery range.

You may think your son is a genius and has the right answer all of the time, however in this case he is not right.

Whether it's more economical to use Normal, Charge or Save all depends on the specific journey you are doing at the time.

Make sure you run the gas engine at least once every 2 weeks to keep it lubricated and to make sure there is no water accumulation in your fuel. Just a short 5 minute switch to SAVE or CHARGE mode will be sufficient.

You omit the most important part... it is not if you drive carefully, and frugally but the length of your trips.
Battery Range at the moment in Middle England is 20miles...but please consider the above submission

Battery Range at the moment in England is 20miles on full charge, yet consider the above contention.

You may think your son is a genius and has the right answer all of the time, however in this case he is not right.

Whether it's more economical to use Normal, Charge or Save all depends on the specific journey you are doing at the time.
I have already explained...the journey on average is between 31 miles to 34 miles, and yet look at the above submissions. And we are both Mensa members, me passing first fime, and him getting in after second attempt allowing three years grace. We pay 9.4pence per Kilowatt Hour on night time electric vehicle charge or when it is sunny, free if we use our 3kWh charger [not 7] on solar.

As explained supra, the journey and type has been thoroughly explained. Thanks

I do only about 5000 miles per year..mostly short runs. Today I drove it 34 miles...and initially it stated that MPG was --- as it was above 99mpg. [The car was fully charged]. Towards the last 2 mile getting home, the mpg then dropped to 99mpg, then 95mpg, and by the time I got home, it was 92.5mpg. So all my miles must be carried out on EV mixed with petrol. I put it on normal, which is what my son who had completed Honours at the University of Birmingham, Chemical Engineering Degree advised me to put it on. He stated that, that would be the best and most economical way to run the car. I have tried to switch it to "Charge", and as expected efficiency fell right through the roof. I have also tried it on "Save" mode, and again, the efficiency was not more than 99mpg. I have also tried EV mode with the EV button, and again the MPG is rather punitive once EV runs out. Again it is always best to put it on "NORMAL" mode, as that is what the car is designed for...for most efficient performance on fuel efficiency. I do about 100 miles per week..and use about 22.5 litres of unleaded petrol every six months, perhaps more. I charge it up to full everytime before my 31 miles trip. the MPG even when I get home is recorded as above 99mpg [recorded as ---]. If I drove non economically, eg go fast, brake lots, accelerate rapidly...then obviously I will not be able to maintain this more than 99mpg. I have worked out that if my annual milleage is 5200miles, and I put in 22.5litres every 6 months, then I am getting 115.55 miles per litre which converted to gallons [4.54609] is 525.326 miles per gallon. That is on condition that I keep the car fully charged up for each trip, which is what I have been doing. I live in Nantwich which is north west of England. I avoid braking, and avoid sudden acceleration. My drive at around 40 mph to 55 mph. I love driving in Wales as there is a lot of 20mph zones. The car is very efficient at that speed.I charge my car up fully on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays every week, except when I go on holiday.
Thanks for this. I continually argue with my wife who has alternate views on how the car should be run. I presume what you desribe would translate to Australia? Obviously, couldn't be more different to the UK with our long strtches of road between towns, cities and states.We mostly drive locally which is about 20 - 40 km a day find it rarely needed to refuel with petrol however planning long trips interstate later this year.

Battery Range at the moment in England is 20miles on full charge, yet consider the above contention.
What I am saying is that one can not compare fuel consumption with others when the length of their trips is different. The comparison should start once the battery is drained.
While in conventional vehicles the length of the trip is not an factor in PHEVs it is a major one, cause inside battery range people are easily doing 999mpg

It's a pity your Mensa membership doesn't teach you the difference between kW and kWh. You can't have a 3kWh "charger" ;-)
I have already explained...the journey on average is between 31 miles to 34 miles, and yet look at the above submissions. And we are both Mensa members, me passing first fime, and him getting in after second attempt allowing three years grace. We pay 9.4pence per Kilowatt Hour on night time electric vehicle charge or when it is sunny, free if we use our 3kWh charger [not 7] on solar.

It's a pity your Mensa membership doesn't teach you the difference between kW and kWh. You can't have a 3kWh "charger" ;-)
Littlecrote, you wrote a lot in this. I DO understand. I meant emit 3kWh charger. We have 2. 1 emits 3kWh of charge from the charger, and the other emits 7kWh of charge. We use the 3kWh charger which emits 3kWh per hour of charge when it is sunny in the day time and use the 9kWh charger, when it is cheap rate at night ie paying 9.4 pence per kWh instead of the normal 29 pence per kWh. The reason why I say we are- and you can check the register [Mensa] which is an open register. This was a provocation when another stated that "if your son were such a genius..." instead of analysing facts and coming back with more analysis, they are out there just to hurt. No difference between Israel and Hamas. That is how war starts. The correct thing to say would have been...I understand that your son had studied Chemical Engineering, but I disagree because having driven on EV instead of normal, it appeared that I could do 100 miles on simply 0.1 litre of unleaded..or words to that effect. Something more constructive instead of what was said without any basis, without knowing head or tail..just criticise for the sake of criticism without any basis. That is how wars start.

As I said earlier I am new to the Forum. Just asking, is this (and the subsequent) level of passive aggression usual in threads? I'd hate to think so.

As I said earlier I am new to the Forum. Just asking, is this (and the subsequent) level of passive aggression usual in threads? I'd hate to think so.
Dear Fancy McDancy. Unfortunately some people are just like that. They are nasty to the core, and I am grateful for your picking this up. As you will observe, some [not all] are just there to hurt people and to be nasty to people. So be careful what you say. I told a gentleman who lives in Florida how to up his MPG and his range, and he was ever so grateful but if you look above, you will evidence the nastiness in some who cannot stand someone saying something to assist others eg in fuel consumption, and how to travel economically and ecologically. Good luck. It is people like you that we want in threads. Can I just say, even Jesus Christ himself encountered such nastiness. Human nature [in some] and By the Grace of God, some of us not-so-nasty types still exist. They will pick on every word you say, and turn everything on its stomach simply to say you are wrong and that they are always right.

Dear Fancy McDancy. Unfortunately some people are just like that. They are nasty to the core, and I am grateful for your picking this up. As you will observe, some [not all] are just there to hurt people and to be nasty to people. So be careful what you say. I told a gentleman who lives in Florida how to up his MPG and his range, and he was ever so grateful but if you look above, you will evidence the nastiness in some who cannot stand someone saying something to assist others eg in fuel consumption, and how to travel economically and ecologically. Good luck. It is people like you that we want in threads. Can I just say, even Jesus Christ himself encountered such nastiness. Human nature [in some] and By the Grace of God, some of us not-so-nasty types still exist. They will pick on every word you say, and turn everything on its stomach simply to say you are wrong and that they are always right.
You're right to assume that I am on your side against unpleasantness in Forum discussions, but I am also against using those discussions to promote religious views. You are of course welcome to have them but keep them to yourself please. I would hate to have to report you, or to point out the perversity in an apparent Mensa member believing in an old man that lives in the sky.

Thank you. Some people cannot take any kind of issues and instead of analysing issues, they simply hurt hurt and hurt people. They are there just to do that. Very very nasty people out there. If he drives a PHEV, I will consider changing to another car.
The deal is you made a lot of generalizations, have said thing that are wrong (self-contradictory advises), more over from the high tower of some superiority that wasn't even related to the topic.
The smartness of your family should have been shown by the content of your posts not self-described by the posts.

As you have noticed, yes it is. There is a lot of bullying going on, and my car is better than yours, my driving is better than yours sort of thing. No different than male v male outside the nightclub fighting for women, just like animals. So you might want to think twice. It does get very very nasty.

Back