What's this orange light for?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulo

Anyone know what the small orange light in the roof switch panel is? It's marked in the manual as a "downlight". Doesn't throw any light down in my car!!

BTW, the tailgate doesn't beep any more. I've dealt with it. :twisted:

There are more cars that have it; I have been told that it is a legal requirement in some markets as an emergency orientation light, but I do not know whether there is truth in that.

Regulo said:
Anyone know what the small orange light in the roof switch panel is? It's marked in the manual as a "downlight". Doesn't throw any light down in my car!!

I think it just comes on when your lights are on.

Alan

BeerHunter said:
Regulo said:
Excelent! Care to share how? The noise is just stupid!

Kev.

You've got to be bold! Open the tailgate. Take the small square access hatch off behind the latch. Now be careful. Pull the interior panel away until you can get a padded screwdriver or similar behind it. You then need to work your way to the left corner enough to get your fingers in. Or use two long screwdrivers. A helper might be useful. Give it a good hard wrench and it'll pop off. You can then see the square sounder with it's connector. Disconnect it. Line up the fixing studs, and thump the panel back on. I accept no liability whatsoever for any damage you might cause, it's at your risk!!!!! Silence. :D

Regulo said:
BeerHunter said:
Regulo said:
Excelent! Care to share how? The noise is just stupid!

Kev.

You've got to be bold! Open the tailgate. Take the small square access hatch off behind the latch. Now be careful. Pull the interior panel away until you can get a padded screwdriver or similar behind it. You then need to work your way to the left corner enough to get your fingers in. Or use two long screwdrivers. A helper might be useful. Give it a good hard wrench and it'll pop off. You can then see the square sounder with it's connector. Disconnect it. Line up the fixing studs, and thump the panel back on. I accept no liability whatsoever for any damage you might cause, it's at your risk!!!!! Silence. :D
Thank you so much. Words can barely express my delight at getting rid of that $%"&*%^ stupid noise! :D

For the others, it is literally a 5 minute job. Here is the box to disconnect showing the disconnected plug before it was wrapped in tape and secured:
fixed.jpg

ATB,
Kev.

Hi, the little orange light will illuminate whenever the headlights are switched on, either manually or in automatic mode.

I think the question is more one of "why"? There is a perfectly good headlamp-on indicator in the instrument console directly in front of you...

I am sure it is a down lighter, though not a very bright one. Many up market cars have them to give just enough light to find the gear lever and handbrake etc in the dark.

I have to say it's the least bright one I've seen on any of my cars over the last 12 years. My previous cars have generally had a red light.

MHS said:
I am sure it is a down lighter, though not a very bright one. Many up market cars have them to give just enough light to find the gear lever and handbrake etc in the dark.

I have to say it's the least bright one I've seen on any of my cars over the last 12 years. My previous cars have generally had a red light.

I thought "red lights" advertised something entirely different. :lol:

gwatpe said:
MHS said:

I thought "red lights" advertised something entirely different. :lol:
That's probably why you don't see as many red Christmas lights on people's houses.

It's dull enough to be useless yet bright enough to be a distraction while driving in the dark.

Mine has tape over it!

It's a subtle, but useful feature, that I first encountered in my Citroen C5. Not sure of its official intent, but for me it provides a dull light that let's me see inside the cab of the car when driving at night, without affecting my night vision. Although it's most useful when there is no other traffic or outside lighting (eg, on a country highway). I can easily look around and find stuff in the car but without turning on a light that ruins my vision/awareness of what is happening outside the car.

TRT

Back